Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2016 10:00

RAID5 not showing up as an option in OMSA with 3 new disks present

I am wanting to create a new RAID5 volume in my R710.  It currently has a RAID1 volume using drives in slots 0 and 1.  I added three new drives and can see them all in OMSA, but when I start the Create Virtual Disk Wizard, the only options presented are RAID0 and RAID1.  I am running OMSA Version 7.4.0.

I am wondering if it is because the three drives are not all showing up under the same RAID controller.  I put the three disks in slots 3, 4 and 5, but only the drives in 4 and 5 showed up under RAID Connector 1, the drive in slot 3 showed up under Connector 0 with the other two disks that are currently in use.  I moved the drive from slot 3 to slot 2, but it still shows up under Connector 0.

I would have thought that I could create a RAID5 volume from disks across the two RAID connectors, I am fairly certain I have done so in the past using the RAID BIOS utility, and I can go that route this time, but I thought I would avoid a production server outage if I could.  I also would have thought that the 6 drive slots would be evenly distributed across the two controllers, not 4 and 2 like I am apparently seeing.

I could put the RAID1 volume in slots 4 and 5, but that does not achieve the goal of avoiding a server outage.  Any insights?  Thank you!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2016 12:00

Hello.

I am wanting to create a new RAID5 volume in my R710.  It currently has a RAID1 volume using drives in slots 0 and 1.  I added three new drives and can see them all in OMSA, but when I start the Create Virtual Disk Wizard, the only options presented are RAID0 and RAID1. 

Depending on the controller installed, you can perform RAID Level Migration, RLM from RAID 1 -> RAID 5. Note that the SAS 6iR and H200 controller do not support RAID 5 configuration. If want RAID 5 and you have one of these controllers then you might have to consider upgrading to PERC H700 which supports RAID 5

You can have drives from different connectors of the same controller belong to the same RAID array

No Events found!