Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2016 12:00

Raid troubles / potential bad drive or controller

I help out a small business with their servers. I get a call this morning that their Dell 400SC (obtained 2003-ish / Win 2000 server) is screaming bloody murder. It's up and functioning best I can tell.

I have them reboot and Ctrl-M into the raid utility to silence the alarm (cheers in the background)

I have them get into the utility's physical drive area and it looks like I have Channel-3 failure

Channel-2 is: ONLIN A00-00

Channel-3 is FAIL A00-01

Raid bios utility Ver5a42 Jan 21, 2002

The drives are mirrored

I'm looking to determine if it's just a bad drive or if the raid controller is a goner. It isn't obvious to me and I'm remote so anything I want to do is actually a series of instructions to someone over the phone which is, of course, non-optimal.

Here's a shot of the screen:

Any help determining for certain what is really wrong would be appreciated.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2016 15:00

Hello

I'm looking to determine if it's just a bad drive or if the raid controller is a goner.

No information you have provided would lead me to speculate that this is a controller issue. I would suspect a controller issue if the problem persisted after parts replacement or similar issues were occurring on multiple drives across the controller. My first assumption with a single drive in a failed state is that there is an issue with the drive.

Any help determining for certain what is really wrong would be appreciated.

I would start by checking the drive status. There should be an information pane on the physical disk that will display the SMART status. It looks like it is the F2 menu according to your picture. If the drive is reporting a SMART error in that information pane then you need to replace the drive.

If there is no SMART error then I would go to the download page of your server and download diagnostics to test the drive. If the drive fails the diagnostics I would replace the drive. If the drive passes diagnostics then I would rebuild the drive into the array.

Thanks

No Events found!