Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2017 08:00

Reclaiming space on R415 Perc 700 RAID

Hi all

Recently I acquired some R415s , they have Perc 700 on them configured with disks in a RAID 5 configuration with one virtual group and a virtual disk. I am trying to install an OS (RHEL) on one of the server. The virtual disk is showing 0 bytes free. So I did an "initialize" on it so as to reclaim the space. It still shows as "Free capacity 0 bytes". Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a bad controller on my hand?

Attached is screenshot of the disks during the RHEL install, I tried the same thing from this screen and it complained "unable to allocate requested partition scheme". I don't have screenshots from the Perc 700 RAID screen during boot up , but can post them later today.

Thanks for any pointers.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 15th, 2017 12:00

0 free simply means that the virtual disk is configured to utilize all available space on the disks, and that is not what Initialize does.

RHEL should have no access to the individual drives and should install on the virtual disk itself. You may need to reformat the "disk" that RHEL sees before installing (if the installation doesn't do that automatically).

3 Posts

May 15th, 2017 17:00

THEFLASH1932 

Thanks for your reply. Yes, thats the part I am trying to figure out, how to reformat the "disk" that RHEL sees. As shown in the screenshot, when doing the install, RHEL "sees" that virtual disk as a bunch of partitions, but finds that virtual disk to have no space left and asks to reclaim that space by deleting the partition sda3. However, when I try to delete , I get the error I have noted in my post. RHEL doesn't allow me to go past that screen until I've freed up space on the disk. I am looking for ways to "reformat" that virtual disk. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Posts

May 15th, 2017 18:00

Ok , so "Operations->Initialize" from the Perc 700 BIOS config mgmt worked. Once I did that and went back to RHEL install, it found the virtual disk to have entire capacity free and I was able to install. Thanks for the feedback.

No Events found!