Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2011 03:00

Reconfiguring RAID virtual disks on a Dell PowerVault 745N running Microsoft Windows Server 2003

I have a Dell PowerVault 745N running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, SP2. I am trying to 'steal' some space from it's D: drive to give some to the C: drive.

It has 4 physical disks, configured as RAID-5, but it is presenting this space as 2 seperate RAID-5 arrays - 10Gb for C: and 690Gb for D: (approx). When I booted into Acronis Disk Director 10, it showed as 2 seperate disks also, which meant that I couldn't use Acronis to move the boundaries of the C: and D: drives to re-allocate space. Also Acronis informed me that as the D: drive was Dynamic, it wouldn't be able to do anything with it anyway.

I've now opened up Dell OpenManage Array Manager 3.7.0 from within Windows, and I'm trying to see what can be done from there, but I don't know what I can do safely (i.e. without losing any of the data on either disk). If I right-click on either of the virtual disks that it shows me (C: = OS, D: = DATA) then the Minimum Size and Maximum Size fields show the same value, and there is therefore effectively nothing that I can change. Can somebody please shed some light on this urgently, before the C: drive runs out of space completely !

Thanks in advance for any help guys and gals.

Ian

• 

8.4K Posts

December 7th, 2011 06:00

Ian,

With the arrays being sliced into two separate arrays there isn't any way to re-size it without data loss. Your solution would be to backup all the data and then Recreate the arrays. Another option would be to incorporate another drive and then have a 2 drive raid 1 for C and the 3 drive raid 5 for the D, as just recreating it with new size doesn't help if you use the space up again. You would have to repeat the process.

No Events found!