Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

November 1st, 2018 12:00

Replace Failed Drive Poweredge T620

I have never managed a dell server before. I was wondering the proper procedure to switch out a failed hard drive on this server. There are two drives that are supposedly in a RAID 0 configuration. I'm skeptical that the RAID configuration is working correctly because both drives show up in the OS (it looks like they're separate storage too). Anyway, one of the drives is blinking amber for both lights indicating failure. What is the safest way to swap out the failed drive? Should I power down the server first?

• 

6.2K Posts

November 1st, 2018 14:00

Hello

If the drives are connected to a backplane then you can hot-swap them. If they are cabled then you should power down to replace.

If they are configured as single drive RAID 0's then they would be presented to the operating system as separate drives. If the drive is a single drive RAID 0 then you will lose access to any data on the drive when it is removed. If the two disks are in a RAID 0 together then you will lose access to all data on both disks if either disk is removed. You can find more information in the controller manual.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Thanks

November 2nd, 2018 07:00

You're saying I can just pull out the drive while it's still powered on? What if the failed hard drive happens to be the C drive? Wouldn't that be really bad if I just pulled the drive where the OS is installed while it's being used? Sorry I've never done anything like this before so hope that isn't a stupid question!

Also, I meant to say that the drives show up as RAID 1 in Dell OpenManage, but yea that doesn't actually seem to be the case since they show up as separate storage. Though the weird part is that both drives seem to be fine as far as the OS is concerned, both of them still seem to be working normally.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2018 10:00

There are many different ways the storage is presented within the OS. OMSA will list the virtual disk. If OMSA lists the two disks as being members of the same RAID 1 virtual disk then I would assume they are in a RAID 1, not RAID 0 single disks.

The disks you are seeing in the OS may be partitions or many other things. In some places the OS may list the disks individually even if they are in a RAID 1 virtual disk. The controller does typically provide information about the individual disks within a virtual disk to the operating system.

No Events found!