Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2015 16:00

Replacing a Defunct Drive

We have a R710 with 8 drives. 1 array = drive 0 and 1 in a RAID 1. 2nd array = drives 2-7 in RAID 5. Lost drive 2 some days ago. Inserted a new equal size drive and it will NOT rebuild. I was instructed to mark the drive as a hot-spare and it should rebuild but it does not. In ctrl-r utility, you can not mark the drive anything but hot-spare. Cant force it online, force it offline or nothing! Should i not be able to while the server is running, remove the defunct drive and insert a replacement drive and it start to rebuild? How do i get this drive to rebuild?

112 Posts

August 9th, 2015 16:00

What OS are you running ? Please do not attempt force the new drive online, this will immediately corrupt your array . Before we proceed , we need to know the status of the new drive and preferably in Open Manage Server Administrator within the OS.

38 Posts

August 9th, 2015 17:00

Server 2012 R2 Core. The status of the new drive in ctrl-r is "Ready". OMSA would not install on core

38 Posts

August 9th, 2015 19:00

I found out why no drive will rebuild on this RAID 5 array --> drive 2 IS NOT included in the array! So i found this on expanding the array:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19378577

however, this is 2012 core and OMSA will not install on core? Is it possible to install OMSA on core? If not, is there anyway to expand the array in ctrl-r?

38 Posts

August 9th, 2015 19:00

Found out how to install OMSA on server core and added drive 2 to the raid 5 array! I LOVE poweredge servers!!!

No Events found!