Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2006 14:00

SATA RAID PowerEdge 700

Hi.  Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

I woke up this morning to the sound of the alarm on the SATA RAID controller.  Apparently, one of the drives had failed, and the configuration had to be degraded.

I'm thinking I have to replace the failed drive, but I have no idea where to begin.  I have no service contract on this machine with Dell.

I checked the Dell website, but I couldn't find a compatible drive for the PE700.  All I could find were drives for the PE800.  Could someone point me in that direction?

Also, could someone point me in the direction of documentation that would guide a newbie through the process of replacing the drive?

Thanks,
Ray.

884 Posts

August 4th, 2006 15:00

First, you do have lifetime phone support with that system, they just will not send the drive if needs be. But they will walk you through some troubleshooting steps and also get a Dell part number for a hard drive if you wanted and then they couuld transfer you to thier spare parts dept.

Second, if you are going to replace the drive, you have to verify that the drive you are going to put in there is the same size or larger (most important) and same speed or faster. IF you found a drive like that then all you need to do is pull the failed on and put in the new one and it should start a rebuild.

However it is a good idea to get a controller log and see why the drive failed. Sometimes the failed drive is not the problem drive.
No Events found!