Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2014 21:00

SATA drives not recognized

Internal RD1000 and TS-H493 CD-RW/DVD are not recognized in Device Manager or Disk Management on PE 2900 after clean install of Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. Both were working normally while previously running Server 2003 x86. BIOS is current at 2.7.0. Both drives are connected directly to motherboard SATA connectors using existing SATA cables. Independently, all SAS HDD's are working normally in RAID arrays via PERC SAS 6/iR controller. RD1000 and TS-H493 firmware were up to date prior to conversion to Server 2008. All Intel motherboard chipset drivers are reported as current in Device Manager; no problem devices listed in Device Manager.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

May 18th, 2014 14:00

Hello

Open a command line interface using run as administrator. Type in diskpart and hit enter. Run these two commands and let me know the output:

list disk
list volume

Do you have any "Other" devices listed in device manager?
Did you change any BIOS settings when you installed 2008R2?
In the system BIOS Integrated Devices>Embedded SATA, what is it set to?
In device manager under the section for IDE ATA controllers what is listed?

I checked to see if we have a chipset driver for 2008R2 on the 2900 and did not locate one. It appears to use the standard Windows chipset driver, so you should be good there. You might want to run Windows updates if you haven't already.

You could also try disconnecting the RD1000 to see if the DVD is detected with it removed. If there are device conflicts with installing drivers it can sometimes be resolved by connecting devices one at a time to allow Windows to load the drivers properly.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

104 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 10:00

Did you by any chance default the cmos settings in the f2 setup during this change?  That disables SATA operation on the mainboard and you would have to go back in and reenable both SATA ports along with SATA operation in the integrated device sub section.

Just a shot in the dark. But I've seen this happen before.

No Events found!