Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AK

July 24th, 2014 04:00

SCSI RAID Controller Problem

Dear geeks

it is a great pleasure being in this forum,

if you please i have a bizzare problem and i hope you can sort things out with me

Hardware Description:
Dell 1850 Server having OS Win Server 2003 x32
Two Ultra SCSI 146GB RAID 1 Configuration, on PERC 4R/Si Controller

This Server operating system doesn't work and we need to recover the files on it

i was able to boot the server on a Knoppix Linux Distribution and i was able to see the Folders only, with no data inside them.

i tried a different distribution, CentOS 6 and the drive is visible in the Disk utility but i wasn't able to mount it, gives "Mounting error, Filesystem Driver not installed" although NTFS format is installed in the library

i tried to invoke the disk using the terminal , i receive "I/O Error"

i tried to recover the Windows server and i received a Bluescreen when the server was trying to access the disks.

can you please let me know what's the problem or if there are any other tools to use to investigate further ?

Thanks alot
Amr

July 24th, 2014 07:00

Dear Sir

i've attempted all the above but without luck, already the virtual disk is present during windows setup but it takes around 15 minutes to access the disk information then i get a bluescreen on the server

i need to investigate further as i loaded Dell Live DVD utility and it had mounting problems too

BR

Amr Koptan

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 24th, 2014 07:00

To attempt to repair using Windows Recovery Console, you will need to load drivers for the PERC 4e/Si (you need the 'hard drive' version, and it needs to be run to extract files before use):

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=537C4&fileId=2731092505&osCode=WNET&productCode=poweredge-1850&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SR

Server 2003 can only accept drivers from floppy at the F6 prompt.  If you don't have a floppy drive or want an alternative, you can use nLiteOS.com to integrate the driver into your installation media.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 24th, 2014 10:00

Sounds like you may have a bad disk.  Have you run diagnostics on it to confirm the disk is healthy?

July 24th, 2014 10:00

Dear sir

Yes it seems so, do you have any recommended tools under linux ? 

Also i do not have an explanation why the folders are intact while the files aren't, sounds strange though.

Appreciate your feedback about the tools 

Thanks alot

No Events found!