Start a Conversation

Unsolved

WK

3 Posts

June 14th, 2020 09:00

Seagate Drives - failure to build raid aray

I recently purchaced a set of six seagate 2 tb drives for my poweredge r710 server w/ a perc 6/1 controler. after installing them everything was working untill i tried to init my raid 0 aray. All of the drives all failed and the debug screen flashed drive bay detection errors. Ive been pulling my hair out for days now and anny help is much appreciated

• 

8.8K Posts

June 15th, 2020 13:00

Whit Kester,

First would you let me know the part numbers for the hard drives, as well as if the server is up to date and current on BIOS, iDrac, Perc 6/i, and if available the hard drives? 

Let me know what you see.

Thanks

June 15th, 2020 17:00

Chris H. -

Thank you for the quick responce. The drives are part number ST2000NM0001, The server Bios is version 6.6.0. The Perc i/6 is package version 6.6.3.0002, and the iDrac is a 6 express firmware version 2.92. Im not sure the firmware virsion of the drives.

Hope this helps,

-Whit

• 

3.4K Posts

June 15th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

Are you creating RAID0 Array with all 6 drives? - Have you tried only using 2 drive RAID0 and initialize it? Have you tried creating other RAID levels, do you have the same error?

Are the drive you purchase Dell drive, or third party? There will be issues when 3rd party drive are being used in the server, the PERC would not be able to communicate well with the drive firmware. 

PERC firmware version seems to be odd, is it 6.3.3 or 6.6.3?

June 15th, 2020 21:00

The drives are made by seagate and I have tried doing both 2 and 6 drive arays. Ive allso tried different raid levels to no avail. The perc firmware is version 6.3.3 to clear up any confusion there.

• 

3.4K Posts

June 16th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

There may issue arise if non-Dell used in the system. The controller's firmware could not communicate well with the drive firmware. 

Do you have any Dell drives to test if the hardware in the server is not having issues?

No Events found!