Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 13th, 2016 12:00

Sense 5/24/00, OpenManage and PERC event log

Hi to all

I would like to identify exactly why i'm receiving tons of 

"Unexpected sense. SCSI sense data: Sense key:  5 Sense code: 24 Sense qualifier:  0:  Physical Disk 0:0:1 Controller 0, Connector 0"

on all *uncertified* disks.

In the same server I have both certified and uncertified (but same identical model as certified ones) disks and the unexpected sense happens only on uncertified ones.

I think (but i'm not totally sure about this) that this happens only with Open Manage installed, so "someone" is executing commands that are unreconized by uncertified disks.

Other than this, disks are working perfectly.

So:

1) who is executing commands that results in unexpected sense?

2) which are these commands and what's their meaning? Are used to detected a certified drive?

3) with openmanage installed, every now and then, the controller logs are cleared. I think is openmanage that clears the log. How can I stop this ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2016 16:00

Hello.

I would like to identify exactly why i'm receiving tons of 

"Unexpected sense. SCSI sense data: Sense key:  5 Sense code: 24 Sense qualifier:  0:  Physical Disk 0:0:1 Controller 0, Connector 0"

on all *uncertified* disks.

This sense key is triggered when an Illegal Request is sent or received - invalid field in CDB (Command Descriptor Block) due likely to the fact that the drive firmware is not correctly communicating the controller because it is not validated to function on this server and hence it is uncertified drive.

In the same server I have both certified and uncertified (but same identical model as certified ones) disks and the unexpected sense happens only on uncertified ones.

I think (but i'm not totally sure about this) that this happens only with Open Manage installed, so "someone" is executing commands that are unreconized by uncertified disks.

Other than this, disks are working perfectly.

No one is running any commands. The OpenManage server Administrator (OMSA) is used to monitor server hardware including hard drives for any operations or performance issues. OMSA automatically detected that there are some uncertified drives in the server. It is recommended that you use Dell certified drives

93 Posts

June 14th, 2016 01:00

This sense key is triggered when an Illegal Request is sent or received - invalid field in CDB (Command Descriptor Block) due likely to the fact that the drive firmware is not correctly communicating the controller because it is not validated to function on this server and hence it is uncertified drive.

Exactly.

No one is running any commands. The OpenManage server Administrator (OMSA) is used to monitor server hardware including hard drives for any operations or performance issues. OMSA automatically detected that there are some uncertified drives in the server. It is recommended that you use Dell certified drives

This is not true.

By shutting down OpenManage the unexepcted sense 5/24 stop to be shown in controller log and in firmware log. So, it's the OpenManage that try to execute some commands to disks triggering a 5/24

Probably OpenManage is trying to detect if drive is certified or not and is triggering an unexpected sense 5/24

No Events found!