Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2019 06:00

T340 Windows Server 2019 Essentials on S140 Raid using the lifecycle controller

Hello,

i am trying to install Windows Server 2019 Essentials on a Dell T340 using the lifecycle controller. During the wizard I created a Raid 1 using my two Drives and select Server 2019. The lifecycle controller is very picky about the install media. I already tried:

1. The original Microsoft DVD that came with the license

2. Installing the ISO from Microsoft (eval Version) on an USB Stick using RUFUS

3. Mounting the ISO from Microsoft using iDRAC

With option 1 and 2 it always complained that the media is not as expected. Only the third option worked without a warning. BUT the result on all three is always the same: The server reboots, the Windows installer is starting but the virtual drive is not available. I also tried downloading the driver ( for the S140) manually from the Dell homepage and copied it to a USB stick, but Windows cant find any drivers (when manual browsing for it). The result is the same with BIOS or UEFI

I already updated the Firmware to the newest Version over the Dell FTP.

6 Posts

August 18th, 2019 06:00

After wasting countless hours I found a solution:

You have to download the SAS_RAID_DRIVER_WS2019_S140_5.4.1-0001_A00_ZPE.exe and extract it on a USB Drive, than windows can load the driver inside the extracted folder like with any other raid controller.

I already tried that aproache, but without extracting that exe. Also in every Dell Video or documentation they only use the lifecycle controller and never load drivers from a external source (my impression was that the purpose of the controller is to replace exacly that).

Somebody should realy rename that file to a .zip (or make it more clear that it is self extracting and has to be done on another machine) and improve the documentation to make it clear that the manuall loading of drivers is still necessary even with the lifecycle controller.

It probably worked in CentOS because the required driver is already part of the kernel.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

August 13th, 2019 08:00

What you might consider trying is to delete the virtual disk, lay down a new one, then try the install again. I've noticed that sometimes when you create a VD and boot modes change, it can give the PERC issues. From what I've experienced, setting the configuration to the needed state, then creating the virtual disk, and then deploying the operating system.

I'll grab a copy of 2019 and a T340 to run my own install, as well. At the very least, we can try to confirm on another set of hardware whether or not it works.

6 Posts

August 13th, 2019 11:00

I deleted the virtual disk, converted the two physical disks back to non-raid and set the sata back to AHCI. After a reboot I set SATA back to raid and recreated the virtual disk and restarted the os deployment. Sadly the result still is the same, no disk available in the windows installer.

Here is a screenshot of the virtual disk:

grafik.png

Is there a way / could it be helpfull to completly reset the server and start from scratch ? Although I only changed the SATA-, Boot-options and the Network settings of the iDRAC.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

August 13th, 2019 14:00

I spoke to someone in our Window's support group, since I mostly work with Linux and VMware. I was told that the only 2019 version that we're supporting is the LTSC release. Is that what you're using? I grabbed the 2019 Essentials build from the evaluation page, and I'm having similar issues. I do plan on continuing to play with it, as time allows, though.

As for resetting the server back to defaults, you can reset the BIOS from F2, then the Default button at the bottom of the menu. This would only reset the BIOS, the iDRAC and PERC shouldn't be touched. To reset the iDRAC, you would choose iDRAC settings at F2, instead of System BIOS. You can scroll to the bottom of that menu and there are two options to reset the iDRAC. To do a full reset to factory, you'd need to choose the second. Resetting the PERC would essentiall just be reloading your virtual disk.

In order to use the S140 controller, the SATA mode will have to be set to RAID. In any other setting, the controller is deactivated. 

6 Posts

August 14th, 2019 01:00

My understanding about the different Server versions (what i could gather online):

LTSC is the Long Term Servicing Channel Version this is the "normal" Version with a Year as the version number and up to 10 Years Updates (like it was in the past). The alternative is SAC which follows the version scheme of Win10 ( so Windows Server 1709 ) and has a much faster releases cycle. SAC is only available for volume licence customers, not as a single licence.

The licence limitations (Essentials Standard Datacenter) are independent of that. So Server 2019 Essentials should by a LTSC.

I also downloaded a evaluation copy of Server 2019 Standard. The result is the same, no visible virtual disk.

6 Posts

August 16th, 2019 09:00

I still cant find a solution to my problem. I installed centos 6 to verify that the problem is not the actual Hardware or my configuration.

From my point of view Server 2019 Essential is part of the list of supported operating systems, so the on-board s140 controller should also be supported.  I invested quite some time to try all possible combinations and are now quite certain, that the error is not in my configuration, but in the drivers (or the lifecycle controller).

October 22nd, 2019 03:00

Hi,

Deploying Operating system on other PERC controllers using Life cycle controller is supported without providing any out of box driver in the course of installation. However in case of S140 controller, due to existing limitation you need to load driver during installation. And driver will not be part of Life cycle driver pack. Hope below steps would help in deploying Windows OS:

1. Please download ZPE file in below link (file name: SAS_RAID_DRIVER_WS2019_S140_5.4.1-0001_A00_ZPE.exe) : 
  2. https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=8xhfp&oscode=ws19l&productcode=poweredge-r440
  3. Click on the file to extract OS drivers.
  4. After extracting the files, copy all the files to USB key.
  5. Connect this USB key to Server USB port or mount this USB via virtual console of the server.
  6. Initiate OS deployment by configuring RAID on devices which are connected to S140 controller (ensure to covert all the devices to "Windows Metadata" either in Life cycle UI or S140 UEFI interface)
  7. During partition selection, please load these driver by choosing the driver path from USB key.
  8. Immediately after S140 OS drivers loaded, there will be RAID disk entry will be shown to choose the disk for OS installation. 
  9. Allow OS installation to complete. Please cross the driver version .5.4.1.001 in Device manager --> Storage controller --> Driver version.
No Events found!