Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

6 Posts

February 6th, 2020 10:00

The BOSS-S1 and PERC H740P Disk Enumeration

I have a Dell T640 with BOSS-S1 and PERC H740P. Any volume created on the H740P will appear in Windows as Disk0 or Linux as sda. The volume from the BOSS-S1 will appear as Disk1 in Windows or sdb in Linux. If I clear the H740P and just use the volume from the BOSS-S1, the "drive" will appear as Disk0 or sda. As soon as I create a volume on the H740P, the disk identifiers will change. I am VERY uncomfortable having my Windows Operating system reside on Disk1.  Windows belongs on Disk0 !!!!

This is a disk enumeration problem and is hardware based. How can I force the BOSS-S1 to remain at Disk0? I don't believe I can move the H740P into another slot. Ideas please.

2.9K Posts

February 6th, 2020 15:00

When the volume for the H740P is created, where are you doing that? For example, is this in the LCC, the RAID controller, the iDRAC, or from OpenManage? 

I suspect that the controller believes that it's volume is meant to be bootable, and it shouldn't. You can check that from one of those menus (in the PERC BIOS it would be under Controller Properties), but what might be the easiest thing would be to install OpenManage (if it isn't already) and create the RAID volume from there. If you do it this way, Windows already has your disk enumeration and sees itself on 0 and that shouldn't change. Hopefully, that helps out. Nothing else is springing to mind as a possibility at the moment.

February 7th, 2020 06:00

Thank you Dylan for the reply.  I created the array initially in the LCC section under Configure RAID.  I have also installed OpenManage and created the array with that tool.  It looks great until you reboot and the disk identifiers go back to where I do not want them.

Under the H740P Configuration, SELECT BOOT DEVICE, there is the option to choose NONE or Virtual Disk 0: When I make the change to NONE, it will not be retained.  There isn't an APPLY button either.  If you refresh the screen, it seems like it's saved until you reboot and look again.

2.9K Posts

February 7th, 2020 06:00

Is the controller listed in your boot order? I'm wondering if perhaps something there might be part of the issue.

I can't think of a reason that the changes wouldn't be preserved. You might consider flashing the firmware, on the offhand chance that its firmware related.

130 Posts

February 7th, 2020 07:00

Are you doing this in Bios mode or UEFI mode?

#Iwork4Dell

February 7th, 2020 07:00

It's all been in UEFI.  I attempted BIOS mode, but got lots of boot errors and the RAID10 will be over 2TB, so I abandoned BIOS mode and went back to UEFI.

February 7th, 2020 10:00

Didn't see this.  Firmware flashed on day 1.  SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)

November 18th, 2021 17:00

I am having this exact same issue on multiple servers that have the same configuration with a BOSS card and a PERC-H740P RAID configuration. RAID5 in my case. I don't see anything related to boot in the PERC BIOS settings.

• 

3.6K Posts

November 18th, 2021 21:00

Hi, thanks for choosing Dell. I'm afraid we don't know which version Linux you are on, but these links might help:

https://dell.to/3CxChh5

https://dell.to/2Z5DKNU

Have a good weekend!

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

September 30th, 2022 06:00

This is not helpful and smells of an automated response. OP mentions both Windows and Linux, the poster you replied to does not mention an OS at all.

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

September 30th, 2022 08:00

Hello @Brachus,

You are answering on a post from 2021. Why don't you let us know what's the issue, all the information about your server and what troubleshooting steps did you perform so far? That way we might be able to help you better.

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

September 30th, 2022 08:00

Thanks Diego - We have exactly the same issue as OP. A brand new PowerEdge R450 with a BOSS-S1 and PERC H745. When we start the OS Installation process, the server detects the virtual disk on the PERC as Disk0 and the virtual disk on the BOSS as Disk1. There appears to be no way to change this.

Lifecycle controller says there are Zero updates to anything, which makes sense since this is brand new.

We would prefer to have Windows install on the BOSS disk and stay listed as Disk0. Is there anything that can be done? There was no resolution for the OP posted.

• 

8.4K Posts

September 30th, 2022 13:00

Brachus,

Let me research this a little bit, but I think you should be able to delete the Virtual Disk on the Perc, just leaving the BOSS, then do the install to the BOSS, then create the new Virtual Disk on the perc. 

Let me know if this helps.

1 Message

November 13th, 2022 09:00

I have the some problem.

I install on BOSS-S1 vitual drive before creating PERC Virtual drive.

Unfortunately after creating PERC Virtual drive it assumes disk0 and the BOSS-S1 (that is the boot disk) is Disk1

WpWeb_0-1668359053158.png

• 

3.6K Posts

November 13th, 2022 17:00

Hello, I hope this article helps and let us know if you have any further quesitons.

https://dell.to/3O0lL0p

No Events found!