Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2006 19:00

Unable to install W2K3 Server on SC420 configured for RAID

I have a SC420 with 2 160gb SATA drives. I can install Windows Server 2003 in non raid mode without any problems. However I am unable to install with either RAID 0 (preferred) or Raid 1 using either the BIOS add Raid and configure CERC SATA 2 utility or the latest version of the Server Installation CD.

In either case I can setup the drives in Raid config, The Windows installation software sees the drives as raid array and supposedly copies files from W2K3 install disk to drives (HD lite activity). However during the reboot after copy to install W2K3 I always get an immediate read error and must reboot. I can turn around and install in Non Raid config with no problems. Ran all diagnostics on system and hard drives with no failures.

Anyone have any ideas as to what problem might be or where to look. Seems as though although the array is set up, that when windows goes to do its install it is not seeing the array and probably trying to read all sectors from same drive.

I did include the latest Adaptec Embedded drivers via F6 and supposedly they are also on the latest version of Open Manage CD.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

November 9th, 2006 22:00

The SC420 only supports a Software based RAID 1.  Here is a link on Microsoft that pretty much explains "How to do".  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/RAID/default.aspx

I hope you find this helpful.  If not, I recommend contacting Dell Technical Support to assist you in setting this up.  1-800-822-8965.

9 Posts

November 10th, 2006 23:00

Thanks Countryman for the response. Appeciate the link on the Raid setups. I am a little confused on the fact that SC420 only supports Raid 1. I have seen other posts here where there are individuals running both Raid 0 or 1 using the embedded Cerc sa controller on this machine with W2k3.

Also I have the same problem with Raid 1 i.e. it will not run either. I will see if Tech support can help.

Thanks for taking the time.

Bob

2 Posts

March 12th, 2008 15:00

I too have an SC420 and am installing Windows Server 2003 and want to do RAID1 with the two 250GB drives I just purchased. I too was under the impression that the on-board CERC RAID controller (or whatever it is called) could not be used to do RAID1 with WinSvr2003 -- that I was going to have to let WinSvr do the mirroring. But I decided to call Dell to confirm that I could not use the on-board RAID controller. Turns out I can...just have to know how to do it.

I had merely turned RAID on under Setup (F2). During boot to load WinServer I needed to configure the RAID at the appropriate time during POST (press Ctrl-A when you see the CERC stuff on the screen). I "created" a RAID1 array (there is a RAID0 option in there also) but before exiting from the RAID setup, I dashed up stairs and downloaded the necessary drivers onto a floppy drive. This is one of those cases where you have to press F6 at the start of Windows installation. Instructions for downloading the CERC RAID drivers, creating the floppy, and even what to do after you press F6 during Windows Server 2003 installation are listed on this page:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R126743&formatcnt=2&libid=0&fileid=168633

Or search for R126743.exe from any page on www.dell.com.

My SC420 is several years old but I never got around to trying to RAID the drives. I didn't expect Dell to want to help me but the woman I spoke to stepped me through the whole process -- further cementing my positive opinion about Dell.

No Events found!