49 Posts

June 25th, 2020 10:00

Unplug RAID0 of 1 Disk

Hi !

I have a T320 with 8 drives:

- 3 SSD in RAID0 (proxmox)

- 1 HDD in RAID0 (data)

- 3 HDD in RAID5 + 1 spare (misc)

I would to unplug my big data disk (10To) in order to expand its lifespan, and plug it only when needed.

I'm running proxmox with all Openmanage softwares (except WebUI) up to date.

I tried this tutorial without succes:

root@proxmox:/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin# ./omconfig storage pdisk action=offline controller=0 pdisk=0:1:3
Operation disabled. Read, action=offline
Refer to the documentation for more information.

So after reading a thread, I decided to unmount the drive, and unplug it, which works, but that brings up two problems:

1. I got some errors from Idrac, and therefore on my supervision software, which is not accurate, as it's on my own. How can I acknowledged this error ? Or maybe even don't trigger this error ?
  2. Once I plug back my drive, the drive is seen as "Non-RAID" and I haven't been able to get it back online. Once rebooted, I have to load a foreign configuration to get it work.

So, basically, my question is: how I can unplug/plug my hard drive without errors and without rebooting ?

Thanks !

2.9K Posts

June 25th, 2020 15:00

Hello,

Depending on the controller, you can check to see if you could set the individual disk in non-RAID mode. I don't recall offhand if the H310 or H710 supported non-RAID mode, but if you can set the disk to non-RAID, then you should be able to unmount it without issue. This is because there wouldn't be a RAID volume failure issue to contend with. I believe that the controllers had some support for non-RAID mode, but I can't recall the specifics. I would encourage you to check the manual of the associated PERC before changing anything.

Failing that, I think your best bet would be to house the drive in an external enclosure. This address the problem with offlining a drive in a RAID 0.

Hopefully this helps out, but let me know if you have follow on questions.

49 Posts

June 29th, 2020 07:00

Hi !

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, my H710 doesn't support that mode.

Unless someone as another solution, I'll stick with mine

Regards,

• 

3.4K Posts

June 29th, 2020 07:00

Hello,I confirm the Dylan answer, no other solution for this.
Thanks

Marco

No Events found!