Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2014 02:00

Upgrade Server 2008 R2 HDD to SSD with minimum downtime

Hi

I would like know the the most efficient way to migrate a Windows Server 2008 R2 OS installation from a RAID1 HDD to a RAID 1 SSD

We currently use Dell R710 servers and the OS is installed on 2.5" 15K SAS disks in a RAID 1 configuration.

Thanks in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 26th, 2014 11:00

Backup/restore is the only way.  You CAN insert the SSD's, create the RAID 1, then clone/backup/restore directly to the SSD RAID 1, rather than to external media first, and then to the SSD's, but because HDD/SSD and/or SAS/SATA cannot be mixed in an array, you don't really have any other options.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

February 26th, 2014 12:00

As Flash mention, clone the drives, takes approx. 2 hours, dependent on the drive size. Run chkdsk /f on the original  SAS array or the reverse cloning  to the SSD array may not work,

9.3K Posts

February 26th, 2014 18:00

Do note that some raid controllers support SSDs better than others. Also, depending on the SSD model, changing from Dell certified HDDs to retail (as in; non-Dell) SSDs could cause you to have permanent error messages on your server.

So which raid controller (and server model) do you currently have?

February 27th, 2014 00:00

Thanks for all the reponses

Server Model is Dell R710
Integrated RAID Controllor = PERC H700
Controllor Firmware -12.10.6-0001
Driver Version - 4.31.01.64
Storport Driver Version -6.1.7601.17514

Would the above specification support SSD without any issue?

Thanks

February 27th, 2014 01:00

Are there any caveats that I should be aware of such as restoring to a different size disk? The enterprise backup and restore tool that we use is Netbackup. Unfortunatly, I don't have any experience in using this, so just wondering if this a suitable option to clone disks?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

February 27th, 2014 05:00

Never used Netbackup...

Both these will clone as to the same size disk or will expand to a larger disk.

Personally I use Acronis for cloning most of the time, but at this point it is over price.

Easeus, pretty much same features as Acronis

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

There are many free cloning programs but I never used them on servers

8 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 19:00

Good luck

8 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 19:00

Google “Migrate  OS to SDD" then you will find many solutions.

You can also transfer it by using Aomei Backupper --clone partition or backyp first and restore later either is OK.

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/

You can try different software and find the best solution by yourself.

No Events found!