Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2015 15:00

Upgrading T710 from SAS 6/iR to PERC H700 problems

I am trying to upgrade/replace a Dell SAS 6/iR RAID controller (Dell PowerEdge T710/Linux Fedora) a with a PERC H700 (6/iR only supports disks 2 Tb or smaller). The disks on the 6/iR go on the H700 and are all all RAID 0. I've done all the BIOS and firmware upgrades. 

When I go into the -R RAID manager and each physical disk is mapped to a virtual disk. When I reboot, the disk sizes are reported correctly in the system, but the partitions are listed as "unknown format" and are unreadable. (I am booting off the SATA because I am weary of destroying the system disk. I realize  I may have to do a full resinstall of the OS anyway.

I have tried configuring  foreign autoimport to on as well as off.

To make things worse, after I removed the H700 and revert to the 6 i/R, the 6 i/R no longer sees any disks.

The Dell manual for the PERC H700 says

"Virtual disks that are created on the PERC 6 and H200 family of controllers can be migrated to the PERC H700 and H800 cards without risking data or configuration loss."

But this doesn't seem to be the case for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 20:00

The SAS 6/iR is NOT the PERC 6 - they are very different controllers.

Migration from a SAS 6/iR to a PERC 6/i is possible for Windows volumes, but only non-bootable volumes. Although there is an small chance it may work anyway, migration from a SAS 6/iR to an H700 is not supported, and it is more than likely it will not work.

My advice: Install your H700, configure RAID, then reinstall.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2015 11:00

Yes ... thank you. That is the solution. SAS 6/iR Linux-formatted volumes are not readable on the PERC 7. I had to reformat and clean install the system/ boot partition, install and format the storage array manually and then copy the data (which had to be backed up) onto the new array. It works fine now. Thanks for fixing my confusion.

No Events found!