Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2015 10:00

Use sata instead of sas drives

Hello all,

I bought a new poweredge server T110 II with H200A controller. In manual it says that the controller supports both sas and sata but can I use 2 SAS Drives as RAID 1 and one sata with the same capacity as hot spare?

Will I have any problem regarding speed , colaboration, BSOD or anything like that?

thanks in advance.

2 Intern

• 

207 Posts

July 9th, 2015 10:00

In general (everywhere i've ever seen anyway) mixing of sas and sata in the same RAID array is completely unsupported.  Yes, you can probably attach both types to the same controller at once, but you won't be able to make an array using both disk types (including marking a different drive type as a hot spare).  You'd need 1 SAS array and 1 SATA array.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 9th, 2015 14:00

SAS and SATA can be mixed on a controller but not in the same array/virtual disk. It's not just unsupported - it won't work - the controller will block it. As was mentioned, a SATA hot-spare cannot be configured for an array of SAS disks (and vice versa) ... a hot-spare is a member of the array it protects - a non-participating member, but a member nonetheless, so it cannot protect an array of a different type; just think what would happen if a SAS disk failed - the hot-spare would rebuild, mixing SAS and SATA in the same virtual disk.

No Events found!