Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2012 05:00

What happens in the event of a RAID controller failure?

Hi all!

We've recently purchased a PowerEdge T620 with a PERC H710 RAID Controller.  I'm quite new to RAID controllers and want to ensure we've got the best RAID setup from the word go so I'm trying to research every possible failure.  I've found out that in the event of a RAID controller board failure there is a posiblity that none of the data on the disks will be recoverable.  How true is this in the case of the H710?  Does it allow the RAID configuration to be stored on the HDD as well as the controller itself and therefore allow hot swapping of the controller board in the event of a board failure?

Many thanks,

Andrew

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 15:00

I just connected to one of my client server, seems some of the Dell Openmanage server version supported raid configuration backup, others not; seeems the newer versions do not.

I do not use open manage that much but prefer LSI's Megaraid Storage Manager (downloadable from the LSI site) which does support saving the raid confiuration to a file, the raid configuration can also be saved via LSI's CLI command interface, but it is easier/safer through the installation of Megaraid Storage Manager. I do not understand why Dell does not support the backup of raid configuration to a file, sure would save grief when a configuration goes south.

In the interim, I assume your raid(s) were setup by Dell, you should go into the raid bios setup and familiarize yourself with the different setup pages, if you do not understand anything google or ask in the forum for answers. Do not make any changes unless you fully understand the consequences.

As to email alert setup

Google       setup email alert dell openmanage

The links should get you going or call Dell, they will walk you through the setup.

As to patrol reads, they are enabled as a default; only disabled by a poor descison by a user.

August 3rd, 2012 08:00

Great, that was just the answer I was looking for, do you know where I can find documentation on how to backup my raid configuration and ensure patrol reads is enabled?  I've got into the Ctrl+R menu but couldn't see it there.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

"Does it allow the RAID configuration to be stored on the HDD as well as the controller itself and therefore allow hot swapping of the controller board in the event of a board failure?"

Yes it does.

As far as raid adapter hardware failures, they are extemely rare but there are other forms of raid failure which are often blamed on hardware failure. As far as unrecoverable raid failures, yes  it is possible for a hardware failure causing an unrecoverable failure, especially if upon inital failure, the tech involved tries multiple attempts at resurrection without knowledge. For for the most part the data on a raid is rarely unrecoverable using a data recovery service at the worst case, assuming a tech does not attempt uneducated proceedures ("try and pray").

Document your raid setup, step by step, In Dell server manager  or LSI's console, you can backup the raid configuration. Make sure patrol reads is never disabled. Setup your system so email warning of critical raid issues are sent out . No matter how critical the issue or at what hour of the day it ocurs, never let panic/ego take over.

Thanks pcmeiners!

Documentation on how to configure e-mail warnings would be great as well.  I presume that will be configured from a Windows interface, I haven't got as far as Windows yet I wanted to get the raid configured first.

No Events found!