Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

February 11th, 2014 15:00

Why dosen't my Hard drive on my dell poweredge 2950 won't show up in bios or installation?

I recently recived my new Hard drive its a Cheetah SAS 15k.5 RPM 300gb and when i put it in the left side LED on the caddy light up for a split second
when i put it in
then it doesn't do anything after words. There is no OS on my Dell and when i seat out the hard drive caddy a little bit the physical led light on the hard drive
starts blinking rapidly but yet It does not show up in the BIOS. There is no problem with the caddy I swapped caddy and I already swapped ports all the same
and I check to see if the wires were secured! I need some
help, Dell will not help Because I need to wait for the owner transfer form to go through. Help!!!
The Hard drive is brand new And was factory sealed with the new caddy tray.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2014 16:00

One of two things:

1.  You need to put the drive in the screw holes FARTHEST back on the caddy/carrier ... putting it in the closest set of holes requires the use of an interposer to reach the backplane.

2.  You WON'T actually see the drive in the BIOS (BIOS Setup (F2)) ... the drives are handled by the RAID controller, so it would only be visible in the RAID controller's configuration utility during POST (CTRL-R or CTRL-C).

10 Posts

February 11th, 2014 18:00

I'm not sure but this is what i did, first i tried what you said putting the HDD on farthest holes (Wouldn't fit) i tried the second step but i think there is a solution ether my RAID controller is bad or the battery, i think most likely the battery because its marked 2007. I don't get the option for CTRL-R and that's probably why my hard drive will not activate or start correctly!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2014 19:00

As for the holes ... why wouldn't it "fit" in the back holes?

" i think there is a solution ether my RAID controller is bad or the battery, i think most likely the battery because its marked 2007. I don't get the option for CTRL-R and that's probably why my hard drive will not activate or start correctly!"

It's not the battery.

You will only get a CTRL-R prompt if you have a PERC 5/6.  If you have a SAS 5/6, you will get a CTRL-C prompt instead.  If you have no controller installed, then you will have no way of using any drives. 

I would first make sure there is a controller installed ... if there is, what is it?

If there is a controller installed, BUT you are not getting a CTRL prompt during POST, then try reseating the card.  Also, make sure that integrated RAID is enabled in BIOS Setup (F2).

If the card still does not show up during POST, then the card (or, rarely, the slot) - NOT the battery - is bad.

10 Posts

I do have a RAID controller and i do not get ether CTRL-R or CTRL-C I only get F2 F4 F12 Etc. And Ctrl-S CTRL-E for setup menus. RAID is enabled and I don't think its my hard drive back panel. But what is wierd is i had it off for about 3hrs fully unpluged because of frustrations with dell technical support. I went back on when you told me to do those steps and in boot sequence there was a Option for "C: Hard Drive" that point I was so happy went to go install Windows HS 2011 but still the hard drive did not show up nether did any LED near the hard drive light up. :emotion-39:

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Which RAID controller do you have?

10 Posts

How do I tell? :emotion-5:

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2014 20:00

The PERC 5/i and the PERC 6/i behave very similarly - the PERC 6 is just the newer/updated version.

If integrated RAID is enabled in the BIOS, and you have tried reseating the controller in the slot, and you are not getting a CTRL-R prompt, then your controller (or slot/sideplane) is bad.

10 Posts

It is a PERC 5/6 there is a battery. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Check you original order details (if you are the original owner AND you are SURE its configuration has never changed).

Or, open the server and look ... it will have a part number on it.  If it has a battery attached to it, it is a PERC 5/6:

If not, it is a SAS 5/6.

10 Posts

February 12th, 2014 03:00

i will try reseating side panel, RAID controller, and make each wire is very tight and secure. if you would like I will make a video of what happens?

were would be a good place to get parts from?

10 Posts

February 12th, 2014 07:00

The side panel works because isn't the intrusion detector on the side panel? cause when I open it, it always detects when I open the case. So I'm not sure if that tells if the side panels good.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 12th, 2014 07:00

xbyte.com is a good place to get parts ... or eBay, if you find someone that will warranty it against DOA:
http://www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAT_834_9

"The side panel works because isn't the intrusion detector on the side panel? cause when I open it, it always detects when I open the case. So I'm not sure if that tells if the side panels good."

The sideplane may contain the intrusion switch, but it also contains the PCIe slot for the RAID controller.  It is far less likely to be the cause, but it is still a possibility.  There really isn't much you can do to test the sideplane, since it is only designed to take a RAID controller (not generic PCIe devices) ... replacing the RAID controller is far more likely to work.  If not, then you look at the sideplane, cables, or motherboard.

No Events found!