Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 21st, 2006 00:00

create a new mirror PERC 4/DI

I'd like to add a pair of SCSI drives to my existing configuration, create a new mirror using these drives, and create a new partition also. 

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2600 server, with a Perc 4/DI controller running the Dell OpenManage Array Manager 3.4  on a Windows 2000 server SP4.

I have a single RAID1 mirror on Virtual Disk 0.  It is composed of two 73GB SCSI drives on SCSI ID's 0 and 1 (array disk 0:0, and 0:1).  The virtual disk is partitioned into two logical partitions, disk C: (12GB), and disk D: (56GB).

I would like to purchase two new 300 GB SCSI drives (DELL PN 341-1698), and hot-plug these drives into the PowerEdge 2600 with the Perc 4/DI backplane (I'm aware that I need to upgrade the PERC 4/DI Firmware, and driver to use these drives).

Where can I find more information or instructions on using the OpenManage Array Manager?

Is there any reason not to use the above configuration?

Would it be possible to add Disk drive D: to the new volume to make it approxiamtely 356 GB?

Any help coments or critisism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Joel

2 Intern

• 

829 Posts

April 24th, 2006 18:00

Here is the AM3.4 User GuideHere is the section on creating a new virtual disk. You can add the new disk to the existing by creating a dynamic volume

Warning!  Creating Dynamic volumes on top of hardware raid is NOT a good idea.  A drive failure in the hardware raid could cause multiple Dynamic volume failures.

Since your exisiting data set is pretty small I would suggest that you simply move the data from the D: partition to the new raid array.  You can then use the D: partition for other data (log files, pagefile, etc...)

No Events found!