Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 24th, 2011 08:00

poweredge 2850 Raid Hanging

Hi

I recently upgraded my BIOS and RAID controller Firmware, and now for some reason my BIOS will not detect my HDD's.

The first 2 boots after i upgraded the BIOS and Controller were fine, everything was booting fine etc.

Now for some reason, after trying to load the PERC 4e RAID Controller, the system just hangs for about 10-15 minutes then just carries on as normal. It doesnt spin the drives or anything and when you go into the BIOS it cannot pick up the HDD's on the boot sequence menu.

Randomly, sometimes it would boot as normal after pressing ctrl alt + del when the system was hanging on the controller but now it doesnt, pressing ctrl + m when it prompts doesnt do anything either.

I am suspecting the RAID controller firmware obviously but surely if it was bad it wouldn't have booted at all.

I have done ALOT of BIOS / Firmware updates in my time and i know there was no errors. Both BIOS and Firmware were downloaded via the dell website using my servers service tag and also double checked by myself to make sure they was correct.

Not too sure what to do now really. Anyone got any idea's? Not too sure if downgrading the RAID controller will do any help but i have never needed to do this and dont know how.

I also replaced the raid controller battary and the ram with the orginal parts

any help

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 24th, 2011 08:00

Possible the IRQ sharing is misbehaving. Sometimes the NIC interface or another device hogs the IRQ. Document ALL the present bios settings, especially those pertaining to the raid. Try jockeying the IRQs sharing in the bios, or pull the motherboard battery, reinsert, shutdown and restart after duplicating ALL the bios settings ( except for IRQ settings).

Update any remaining system-wide firmwares.

Re-seat All connections to the motherboard and peripherals. The use of Teflon spray (Borden's (hardware store) or Remington) on all connectors/slots greatly reduces chances of bent pins or other damage to connectors, spray is non-conductive, so no damage will occur even on a powered on machine.

Run the Dell diags.

No Events found!