Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2015 14:00

source for drive caddy screws, Dell R900, 2 1/2" cadd

I have a Dell R900, need some replacement screws for the 2 1/2" drive caddies. Does anyone have a source?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2015 18:00

Just take a drive/caddy in with you to find a fit. Good luck.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2015 19:00

There is nothing proprietary or non-standard about the screws. There are literally hundreds of screw configuration options - they had to pick one. HP uses different ones, SUN made a choice as well. If they were proprietary/non-standard, you wouldn't find them in a home improvement hardware store. It certainly isn't worth scrapping a machine like that for.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2015 16:00

Take one from your existing drives and make a trip to The Home Depot or other hardware store ... I have always found the size/type in decent hardware stores, and they are much cheaper than buying "server" screws from server suppliers.

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 17:00

That's a good idea. Unfortunately I was doing drive upgrades, had all the drives out and the screws were in a plastic container. Someone came by to "help" and knocked the container over, sending all the screws down into an air vent. Good thing it's just a test system, otherwise Id have to try duct tape lol

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 18:00

Guess that's what I'll have to do. I literally have hundreds of drive screws, but this is the only R900. I thought I found a source, but the screws are $1 each with a min order of 100. . I'll try a bit more, then just scrap this system and move on, maybe to one of the newer SUN hardware platforms. At least they use normal screws lol  Thanks for the input!

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 19:00

Sorry, I guess I left out a few details. Aside from the puzzling fact that I can't find details on Dell's site for the screw specs, one of the main reasons to move on to different hardware is that Dell has been evolving their lower-end servers so that while they have plenty of computing power for a reasonable price, they cannot be used with a monitor for any kind of decent graphics. By setting up the bios to intentionally remove the option of an add-on graphics card, thereby forcing users to pay $3K or more for a Dell workstation with comparable specs, Dell is driving away customers. I was just speaking with someone from another company (I think 30k+ employees), who had been evaluating Dell systems. He likes to check out hardware on his own before formally recommending an evaluation platform for his company. He bought used 3 or 4 Dell servers because he'd run Dells about 10 years ago and remembered the servers made great workstations for power users.. Then he found out that all 3 of the ones he had purchased, again while having great computing power, couldn't be used for anything other than the most basic graphics. Last I had heard he had given the 3 servers away to a local geek club and was looking at another vendor. Since he specifically mentioned Oracle/SUN hardware, I figure I'll wait and let him do the hard work, then get his opinion. It makes sense to purchase hardware that, once it's EOL for server use, can be repurposed for power users/end users. Thanks again for your help. Have a good one!

No Events found!