Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2016 03:00

upgrade to H700 controller on Linux

Hi all.

I will upgrade from  SAS 6/IR controller to H700 controller in a T410 poweredge.

(Now I have 2 raid1 in 4 slots and 2 other slots not in raid, for the 6 slots, total 6 TB physical, 4 TB logical).

Which are the steps to change the controller? (after doing backup of everything)

Linux will recognize the controller or a new a driver is needed it? How do I get the driver for Ubuntu? How do I install it?

The H700 will recognize the RAID configuration I have? Or I have to reset everything from null?

As I have 2 TB in RAID1, I have 2TB in backup,  but if the new controller does not recognize the all format, how can I use the backups of the RAID1?

Any hints, suggestions, docs are welcome as I have no experience with this.

Thanks,

Jairo

Majorca, Spain

• 

8.7K Posts

May 6th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

What version of Ubuntu are you using? If it has the H700 drivers you probably can just swap the controllers and import the foreign configuration, page 28, on the new controller. Sas6/ir to H700 has not been validated but other users have said that it works. 

3 Posts

May 7th, 2016 00:00

Thanks Josh for the answer.

I have Ubuntu 14.04.3.

Other users have done it with Windows, and basically, they insert the H700 in another slot, let Windows upload the driver,  remove the SAS 6 IR, and it works.

But in Ubuntu?

In the support page of Dell, there are drivers only for WIndows for the H700.

Well,  keep looking for a procedure, sorry, I am not experienced with this and lots of users depend on me.

Jairo

No Events found!