Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MD

2 Posts

May 14th, 2019 04:00

PM1725 DELL R640

Hello,

I recently bought an R640 with 2 sata + 8 NVME slots chassis in it with 1 1TB Dell nvme p4500. This is to be used in a ceph-setup, so accessed directly. I checked for firmware/bios updates but everthing is up to date. 

Question 1: Is it normal that for a dell-certified drive that I cannot see the remaining rated write endurance? This is marked as unavailable. whereas the normal sata ssd's work in raid 1 work

dell-drive.png

Question 2:

When adding (non-dell) 3.2TB nvme PM1725a drives, they are detected in the OS and work, but they are not fully detected by the iDrac and the drac also shows the enclosure as empty. The iDrac detects it if I a remove a drive though. Is there a particular reason other then a certified dell firmware why this doesn't work? The SSD's are also sold in other R640's. At least I'm happy they are not blocked completely... but on the other hand I do hope to get them fully working. I don't like to have to buy everything from the same vendor especially in our situation where we try to use as many same hardware to have stock spares all servers including other vendors then dell servers. 

In inventory it does show up, but only shows 1 entry for that PCIe SSD Slot  whereas the "dell-certified" drive has 2 entries as seen here:

non-certified.png

Hope I didn't miss anything in BIOS or other setting...

May 14th, 2019 05:00

Scratch question 1. Apparently it just took a while before it read out the remaining rated write endurance. This is now showing correctly. 

• 

6.2K Posts

May 15th, 2019 11:00

Hello

You can try restarting the iDRAC. If that does not change the slot status then you can try restarting the server.

@Michael DS wrote:

Is there a particular reason other then a certified dell firmware why this doesn't work?

I cannot think of a setting that would cause this behavior. It is likely due to the drive being unsupported.

Thanks

No Events found!