Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

July 9th, 2020 11:00

PowerEdge R730XD Loading BIOS Drivers

Hello,

I have an issue.  We had a power outage yesterday.  Today when I arrived at the office the server was stuck on the screen below.  I tried resetting the NVRAM, no sucess.  I cannot access the system setup.  Any help would be appreciated it, thank you.Server ScreenServer Screen

• 

3.1K Posts

July 10th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

Try removing the power supply cables from both power supply, press and hold on the power button for 15secs. Then install the power cable back and turning on the server to check if the issue persist. 

If the issue persist, would you be able to remove all the server's components except the minimum configuration 1 CPU, 1 x DIMM, 1 x PSU, no PCI cards, and 6 system fans, try to check if it's able to pass POST. If yes, install the components back in, starting with hard drives, then PCI cards. 

Do you have iDRAC access? If yes, could you check in iDRAC if there is any error messages. Meanwhile, could you update the BIOS version and firmware in iDRAC.

Would you be able to PM me your server service tag. 

1 Message

October 8th, 2020 22:00

I faced the exact same issue, after a fluctuation in power the system would be stuck on "Loading BIOS Drivers...".

I tried resetting NVRAM by:

1. Powering off the system
  2. Changing jumper to clear NVRAM
  3. Plugging in power and powering on system for 30 seconds
  4. Powering off system
  5. Changing jumper back to original location

I also removed the PCIe card attached but to no avail.

Would be grateful if you can share any other solutions to resolve the problem.

• 

3.1K Posts

October 9th, 2020 00:00

Hello,

You did great on the clearing NVRAM. Could you try repeating the NVRAM clear steps, and when you are on step 3, instead of waiting for 30secs, wait till if you're able to see the BIOS loads. Then only powering off the system and change the jumper.

If this doesn't work, do you have iDRAC access? Before you proceed try updating the BIOS version, could you update the iDRAC first then BIOS. Alternative, when was the last you updated the BIOS, if recent, in iDRAC could you do a rollback on BIOS.

Let me know the outcome.

October 21st, 2021 06:00

Hello,

tried to power drain machine, by unplug power supplies and hold power button for 15-20sec.
nothings changes.
tried to upgrade firmware. still it stucks at Loading bios drivers .... 

• 

8.5K Posts

October 21st, 2021 07:00

Deepak Sehrawat,

Did anything occur, or was anything done to the server, prior to it starting to do this?

Try taking the server to its Minimum to Post configuration and clear the NVRam, as previously described. Minimum to Post for the R730xd is

•System board
•One power supply unit
•One processor (CPU) in socket CPU1
•One memory module (DIMM) installed in socket A1
•Left control panel (for power button functionality)
•One backplane card

Remove everything else internally and externally, other than the listed devices above, then after clearing the NVram see if the server passes the Loading BIOS updates. 

Let us know what you see.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2023 02:00

Strangely, I'm getting this in my R740 after installing second CPU and relocating two DIMMs. I I'll try these troubleshooting steps and report back

2 Posts

March 6th, 2023 03:00

Turned out to be a bad DIMM. What is going on, shouldn't I be getting an alarm during boot or in iDRAC? iDRAC reported no problems with the server, maybe because it never completed a POST. But, isn't it iDRAC's *job* to tell you why your server isn't booting? I'm confused here.

• 

3.4K Posts

March 6th, 2023 06:00

Hello,

Sometimes IDRAC if the problem occurs before POST fails to detect any errors on the memories. I think this is exactly the case. I am glad that you were able to solve

1 Message

November 13th, 2023 05:29

Hi there,

I have the same issue with my PowerEdge R740 server. The problem started after power fluctuation. I then burn an ISO to a flash drive and reinstall the system from there. After when I boot up the server It got stuck on "Loading BIOS Drivers". 

• 

3.7K Posts

13-11-2023 06:30 AM

Hello could we see the screenshot from idrac or the lifecycle controller? We’d like to see the latest critical event.

Respectfully,

Professionnel des médias sociaux et des communautés
#IWork4Dell

No Events found!