Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2017 01:00

PowerEdge T30's BIOS problem

I just bought a PowerEdge T30,and add a M2 SSD (SAMSUNG 960 EVO).

The BIOS Version from the factory is 1.0.0.When I Update the BIOS from 1.0.0 to 1.0.2,Everything is ok.

When I Update the BIOS from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 ,Sytem can not reboot.

I Found there is no M2 Slot Displayed in the BIOS,and no M2 SSD Displayed also.

When I Update the BIOS from 1.0.2 to 1.0.5 ,the problem remains unsolved.

Dell 's Support Page says: The BIOS 1.0.3 Fixes:Address a problem where SETUP MENU appears non exist M.2 device.

Why did I have the opposite problem when I upgraded the system BIOS?

2 Posts

August 8th, 2017 14:00

I am using T30 as a desktop with Win 10, for me sleep mode is very important, it was removed in 1.0.2, I am going to downgrade to 1.0.0 and get Sleep and M.2. Hopefully there is nothing important for me in the latest versions.

1 Message

December 4th, 2017 23:00

I too would like to have a link to that version. Appreciated!

December 7th, 2017 01:00

Check your accounts for friend request. Dell's system doesn't allow PMs unless we are friends. Once accepts, I'll send the link.

124 Posts

December 10th, 2017 10:00

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 16th, 2017 15:00

Hello.

This is a little strange. When you enter the BIOS setup, are all integrated devices enabled? Otherwise, reset the NVRAM_CLR jumper inside your system and restore the BIOS to the default settings. See the System board jumper setting section. See Users' Guide: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-t30_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf 

12 Posts

May 16th, 2017 16:00

It appears that Dell intentionally removed M2 NVMe support from the bios beginning with bios version 1.0.3.

Why did they do that? So now we have to hack bios version 1.0.5 to get M2 NVMe support?

3 Posts

May 16th, 2017 19:00

Yes,I agree with you.I'm sure Dell has removed M2 Support from the new bios。

3 Posts

May 16th, 2017 20:00

I‘m Restore the BIOS /  Clear the CMOS / Remove the SSD / Reinstall the SSD .But the BIOS Summary can not display any M2 information .

Please note that “BIOS  CAN NOT DISPLAY”。It means The “M2 Slot = XXXXXX” option disappeared.

If I Downgrade the bios to Ver.1.0.2,everything is OK.

It looks like that DELL Remove the SSD Support from the new BIOS.

12 Posts

May 18th, 2017 15:00

Is anyone from Dell going to confirm or deny that Dell removed support for M2 NVMe from the PE T30 BIOS beginning with version 1.0.3?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 09:00

Yes, support for M.2 NVMe was removed in BIOS revision 1.0.3 and subsequent releases will neither support. However, earlier revisions still do support it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 10:00

Your first sentence needs clarification, since "will support either" is unclear at best. Are you saying subsequent releases (you must mean after 1.0.5) WILL or WILL NOT support it?

Will neither support M.2 NVME in subsequent BIOS release.

Thank you.

124 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 10:00

Your first sentence needs clarification, since "will support either" is unclear at best. Are you saying subsequent releases (you must mean after 1.0.5) WILL or WILL NOT support it?

For anyone looking, this works:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_h4shzb8HX8VBP

9.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 14:00

If you compare the PowerEdge T30 motherboard to the Precision 3620 motherboard, it looks like they are identical, and on the 3620 the M.2 slot is listed as a feature. If you compare the specs (chipset, nic, CPU support, memory support, PCIe slots, etc), they also look identical (other than the M.2 slot).

Some Dell PowerEdge systems were sold as OEM and the bios would be flashable back to the generic Dell equivalent.

There may be a way to reflash the T30 to a Precision, which could enable the M.2 slot again.

I don't have access to partnumbers of the motherboards to confirm this.

NOTE: This would be at your own risk, as I'm not sure support/warranty would cover reflashing the unit to a bios from another system type.

12 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 15:00

If you compare the PowerEdge T30 motherboard to the Precision 3620 motherboard, it looks like they are identical, and on the 3620 the M.2 slot is listed as a feature. If you compare the specs (chipset, nic, CPU support, memory support, PCIe slots, etc), they also look identical (other than the M.2 slot).

Some Dell PowerEdge systems were sold as OEM and the bios would be flashable back to the generic Dell equivalent.

There may be a way to reflash the T30 to a Precision, which could enable the M.2 slot again.

I don't have access to partnumbers of the motherboards to confirm this.

NOTE: This would be at your own risk, as I'm not sure support/warranty would cover reflashing the unit to a bios from another system type.

I just flashed my T30 back to 1.0.2 and can see the m.2 slot again. I am in the process of building-out this server and have not decided on its final hardware bill so at least this slot will be available if I need it. Thanks for the insight though.

18 Posts

May 28th, 2017 19:00

Why would Dell no longer support an important feature on their motherboards?  This makes no sense at all.

No Events found!