Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

July 10th, 2017 18:00

Activating Windows Server 2016 Essentials OEM license in VMWare on PowerEdge R230

Hi Guys,

After a ton of Googling and trying to activate my OEM Windows Server 2016 Essentials license in VMWare using smbios.reflecthost I cannot activate my OEM Windows Server 2016 Essentials OEM license via a VM on VMWare on my PowerEdge R230. Is it possible, and if so, how do I go about it?

Kind Regards,

Luke Redgen

• 

8.5K Posts

July 11th, 2017 11:00

Hi,

Is it giving you an error on activation? What version of ESXi are you using? You may want to try the additional steps here https://communities.vmware.com/thread/545858

2 Posts

July 11th, 2017 19:00

Hi Josh,

I tried those exact steps and got the error 0xc004f057.

Kind Regards,

Luke Redgen

• 

8.5K Posts

July 12th, 2017 09:00

Can you private message me the service tag of the system? 

July 20th, 2017 11:00

Hello; 

I have the exact same situation : unable to activate the OEM Windows 2016 on VMware ESXi 6.5. This is a brand new PowerEdge T330. 

I have tried the previous link and was only able to put in the product key, but not activate. 

Can you please help?

Thanks in advance

• 

8.5K Posts

July 20th, 2017 12:00

We are still looking into this. Is it only with 2016 or also 2012?

July 21st, 2017 07:00

Hello again; 

I tried using the phone activation as a workaround this issue. Pasted below is the answer I got from Microsoft:

Product Activation

Unfortunately we cannot complete this transaction as our records do not recognize this as a valid product. You may be able to return the software to your reseller for a new product. To learn about right licensing for your Microsoft products visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Licensing.aspx. Thank you for calling Microsoft. Goodbye.

We need a solution for this issue. 

Regards; 

1 Message

August 4th, 2017 07:00

Has there been any solution for this? I've just installed a brand new R530 running Server 2016 has a Hypervisor with 4 VMs and two 16-core licenses, which per Microsoft is exactly what I can do. One was an additionally purchased licensed through Dell with the server order and didn't come with anything but a tracking ID so I can't even try to license with it. Every time I try to activate it gives me the same error the original user stated and asks me to make sure my network is working, which it is I'm managing this remotely via TeamViewer. 

The HyperV server is working fine and is completely licensed, it's just the VMs, all of which were installed with the same OEM DVD shipping with the server.

1 Message

April 8th, 2018 13:00

This method don't work for me. Windows script error 0xC004F069.

But I install Windows server 2016 with desktop from downloaded image (not Dell OEM).
I must install from OEM DVD ?

1 Message

March 3rd, 2019 18:00

Can use this command to upgrate license key

C:\> DISM /online /Set-Edition: ServerStandard /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula

No Events found!