Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2010 18:00

Can't install new Windows operating system

Hello,

I have a one year old PowerEdge 1900 that has received very little use. It currently has CentOS installed on it.

I would like to install Microsoft Windows 7 Professional on it, (the desktop version, not a server version), but the install is not working.

I set it to boot to the DVD, with the new retail version of 64 bit Windows 7 Professional DVD in. It states to press any key to boot from CD ROM, (the drive is CD/DVD). Unfortunately, nothing else happens. It just sits there with a black screen.

Does anyone know why it won't install the new OS? Is this a Dell server safety setting, so the server OS doesn't get over-written? 

What can I do to over-ride it?

I'm assuming the DVD drive is good. It worked fine a year ago when I installed CentOS and it hasn't even been opened since then. It's pretty much brand new.

Does anyone have anything I can try?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 21st, 2010 20:00

No, there is no block to prevent OS installation.  At the very least, it should boot to the DVD, even if you can't get it installed* - you should see the Loading Windows screen.  I would assume a problem either with the DVD or the DVD drive.  Does the DVD boot in another system?  Does the 1900 DVD drive boot another DVD? 

*Windows 7 is not a supported OS for this server, so you may or may not be able to install it successfully, although I'd assume you could.

April 21st, 2010 21:00

Hi TheFlash1932,

I have tried two different Windows 7 Professional DVDs and neither one worked.

I haven't tried booting any other DVDs, but I will tomorrow evening. I can try Windows 2003 Server and/or Linux to see if it recognizes it.

I suppose it could be a problem with the DVD drive, even though it only has a total of about 15 minutes of use on it.

I know it's not really the ideal machine for using as a desktop, but the dual quad cores, 8 GBs of RAM and RAID 10 seem like they might make a nice video editing workhorse. I've already added an updated video card in it. I hate to not to be able to use it (for what I paid for it).

I'll try a couple of other discs and perhaps another DVD drive if need be, and will check back.

Thanks,

Tom

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 21st, 2010 21:00

It may just be the DVD part that is not working.  I once had a DVD drive that would read CD's but not DVD's.  I also once had a DVD drive that would install 2003 (CD) and Server 2008 (DVD) just fine, but would not install 2008 R2 (DVD).  Seems bizarre as it seems to work otherwise, but it is possible.  The amount of use on the drive is less important, as it could be a failure not related to wear and tear.  Besides, if this drive has only ever been used to install CentOS, then we may not be sure the drive ever read DVD's - could have been DOA.

No Events found!