Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2012 02:00

DELL vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 only supports SD or USB. I need support for internal HHD

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my PE 2900 fro VM ESXi 4.1 to 5.1 and have downloaded the Dell modified ISO upgrade for ESXi 5.1.  But this does NOT include support for installation of some of my servers features, because its only for install to a SD drive or USB drive.

Is there an ISO that gives support for installation to an internal Raid Array?  PERC 6/i.

Here is the error message I get.  VMware say that the system may not boot after the upgrade, so I backed off.

• 

8.8K Posts

November 15th, 2012 06:00

DashDave,

I am not certain why it is labeled like that. The ISO supports both embedded and the installable versions. You can install on any local LUN, be it USB, SD, or PERC.

In regards to the error. It is due to trying to upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1, you can try to remove the VIBs to see if it upgrades without erroring. If not then you would have to do a clean install of ESXi 5.1. If you have the OMSA VIB installed it may be that.

Let me know how it goes.

3 Posts

November 16th, 2012 01:00

Hi Chris.  Thanks for that.  What is the best way to remove the VIBs?  Never had this issue before, so I'm struggling to understand what the best solution is.

3 Posts

November 16th, 2012 01:00

Chris - done a bit of research and have found this from IBM - which sounds like the same issue.  It is certainly the same file names.  I'm tempted to follow the advise and go for it.  any comment?

Workaround

As long as no additional VIBs were added to the current VMware ESXi 4.x IBM custom image installed on the host server, it is safe to force a migration to the 5.0 custom image because the third-party VIBs that were added by IBM to the original image have equivalents in the ESXi 5.0 custom image.

There are other third-party VIBs that may be included in the stock ESXi 4.x images that do not have equivalents in the stock ESXi 5.0 image. These may include "oem-vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-3w-9xxx" and "oem-vmware-esx-drivers-net-vxge."

No Events found!