Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2008 15:00

Debian on PE M600

Hi, I have installed a blade PE M600 with Debian Etch, but when reboot appears a message saying "ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to shell!" I changed the grub to boot from sda and boot OK, but time to time the message appears again when reboot.

Somebody know what happend? I think is a problem with SAS6/iR but I can`t resolve it yet.

thanks

5 Posts

May 19th, 2009 16:00

When you say that the message appears from time to time,  are you saying that it periodically changes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb and back again?

I saw this problem when I installed using a virtual CDROM on a PE2950.  The device names changed temporarily to reflect the extra virtual disk.  After I changed my grub once, I haven't seen it again.  Sometimes plugging in extra devices (usb drives for example) can mess with the device ordering.

2 Posts

May 20th, 2009 09:00

Thanks to answer, and no, nothing change on grub, just the system try again to boot from sda or some times try to boot from sdb and I have to move back the grub again.

Since a couple of weeks ago the problem has not presented again. I don't know if some update has fixed the problem.

I apreciate your answer but this is a black hole that I can't explain :emotion-2:

No Events found!