Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2020 23:00

Degraded Virtual Disk - Missing HDD

I noticed that one of the virtual disk had degraded:

degraded_vd.png

From logs, the HDD in slot 7 failed, which caused the above-mentioned Virtual Disk degradation.

logs.png

Also, Backplane Connector is now showing critical.

backplane.png

But in the physical disk list, Disk in the slot 7 is missing.

slot7.png

My questions are:

How do I replace the failed drive in slot 7? Do I just hot swap or should I do it from the boot menu ? Please explain.

What about Backplane Connector is showing critical? Is that related to slot 7 HDD failure ?

• 

790 Posts

September 8th, 2020 03:00

Hi thethakuri,

yes, it's possible to hot-swap the hard drive. It is not shown in the section of the physical disc, so it is not just offline but entirely down.
Pull it off the system and replace it with a new/replacement hard drive and check that the rebuild starts.

Here's a guide if needed:

PowerEdge HDD: How to physically replace an HDD (Hot-Swap procedure)

If not, assign the new disk as a global hot-spare, the PERC will do the rest. 

Here's another guide:

Dell PowerEdge: How to Assign a Hard Drive in Global Hot Spare?

Generally, the backplane doesn't fail - I'm pretty sure this is related to the defective hard drive.
You will see if the error disappears after replacing the drive.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Best regards,
Stefan

September 8th, 2020 16:00

Thanks @DELL-Stefan R. Waiting on replacement HDD, will let you know how it goes.

September 17th, 2020 16:00

Hi @DELL-Stefan R , I replaced the bay with new HDD and let the RAID re-build for the day. When I looked in this morning, I see that there is "Non-critical" warning on the new HDD. Upon  investigation, the RAID Controller throws this error on non-Dell branded HDD. Unfortunately, this particular Dell branded SATA HDD are EOL and no longer available. On further investigation, there is a way to suppress this warning by setting the NonDellCertifiedFlag to yes in stsvs.ini config file. Is it good idea to do that and how long does it take for information to refresh in OMSA (or is there a way to force refresh). By the way, the new HDD is still not detected in iDRAC. Also, will this have any operational impact on the RAID array itself?

thethakuri_0-1600383766083.pngthethakuri_1-1600383848574.png

iDRAC:

thethakuri_2-1600383950351.png

• 

790 Posts

September 18th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

good to see that the new drive works. It's normal that non-Dell branded drives are shown with the yellow bang. If it annoys you, you may suppress the message or just ignore it

I'm wondering why the drive is not detected in iDRAC - what is the actual iDRAC firmware version? You might update it to the latest and restart the iDRAC.

It might also help to restart the server once.

If you need any help, let me know.

Best regards,
Stefan

September 20th, 2020 16:00

Hi @DELL-Stefan R , I updated OMSA to the latest version 9.2.0.4 and supressed the warning. That worked but now I'm getting "Driver (PERC) version is out of date" warning.

driver-warning.PNG

So I went to Download & Support and downloaded SAS-RAID_Driver_38RG6_WN64_6.603.06.00_A03 SAS-RAID_Driver_6V4WY_WN64_6.604.06.00_A05_04 (wanted to step upgrade).

I could have double clicked the executables and installed, but thought of updating from iDRAC interface. Now, I'm getting "The DUP specified is not compatible with the target device" error.

update-warning.PNG

Is this because, iDRAC is not meant for driver update (firmware only)?

If I double click the executable, would that verify if the driver is compatible with the system (so that I don't mess up anything)?

Is it better to step update or can I jump versions?

By the way, iDRAC version is 2.75.75.75 (Build 17).

• 

790 Posts

September 21st, 2020 00:00

Hey,

you're right, iDRAC is just to install the firmware, not drivers. Drivers are os specific and need to be installed through the os.

Yes, you can directly install the latest driver, don't need to step up. And yes, the driver will do a check before you install it.

Cheers
Stefan

No Events found!