theflash1932
6 Indium

Re: Dell PowerEdge 2650 OS Install Problems

Jumpers:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Yeah, I've found lots of times the ability to boot to USB would have been handy, as most of mine have only CD drives, but then I remind myself that the 2650 is 10 years old Smiley Happy

"they are usually on 24/7"

Exactly.  Also, Server OS's can have many more services running that, when required to start during the boot process, can make actual boot times very lengthy for a server (an Exchange server can take forever - 10-20 minutes - to boot, a DC would be pretty quick - after POST has completed, that is).

Ubuntu needs nothing extra to see/use multiple processors - it natively supports like 16.  I have never installed a version older than 10.x, so I don't know about older versions.  I have installed 10.x, 11.x, and 12.4, however I am NOT a linux guy, nor have I put any of these in production.  I only put Ubuntu on them to sell them off.  I sold about a dozen to someone who used them with Ubuntu in production.  

I would start with the latest version of Ubuntu and go backwards if necessary.  Dell doesn't support Ubuntu on many systems, especially older ones, because Ubuntu is a fairly recent phenomenon and did not even exist when the 2650 STOPPED shipping in 2004.  Ubuntu is supported on some of their newer servers.

0 Kudos
a3fdeas3r3
1 Nickel

Just ran the command. Should I post all of it? Or what parts should I post?

P.S.- For some reason, it's really slow. I know it's running off a CD, but it's really slow.

0 Kudos
a3fdeas3r3
1 Nickel

I have just run the "omreport system esmlog" command and got a few errors back, the machine freezes whenever I open up Firefox so I'm going to have to type some of them out, please excuse the typo's I might make:

Severity: Critical

Description: System software event - Event Logging for single bit errors had been disabled

Description: ESM Frt I/O Temp temperature sensor detected a failure (50.0 C)

Description: ESM Frt I/O Temp temperature sensor returned from failure (48.0 C)

Description: System software event - Event Logging for single bit errors has been disabled

There are all the Critical errors, although some of these repeat themselves, so there is not point in repeating what I have just typed.

And here is what comes up when I type in "uname -a":

Linux ubuntu 2.6.18-92.1.10.e15.centos.plusPAE #1 SMP Thu Aug 7 12:55:59 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Again, thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Does it not give times/dates for this entries?!  If not, I'm not sure they are helpful, as they could be years old.

Can you not open localhost:1311 in a browser and/or use the OMSA link on the Desktop?

0 Kudos
a3fdeas3r3
1 Nickel

I left the dates out because I thought they were kind of irrelevant, as you say, they could be years old.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
a3fdeas3r3
1 Nickel

I have just installed Ubuntu 10.10 and am now upgrading to 11.04. Hopefully it will work!

How do I check whether the 2 CPUs and 10GB of RAM are installed?

0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing the log entries Oliver. Since single-bit error logging may still be disabled and the machine freezes when you open Firefox, one possibility is that one or more DIMMs are failing. What I would recommend is to clear the memory error log to re-enable single bit error logging by running "dcicfg command=clearmemfailures" from the terminal in OMSA live, and then try running the memory diagnostics which can be done during boot of the OpenManage Live CD by selecting diagnostics from GRUB instead of booting up normally. If the OMSA Live CD version is too old and does not have the diagnostics on it you can get this from ftp.us.dell.com/.../DELL_32-BIT-DIAGNOSTICS_5109-2_R197222.exe which you can run from Windows to extract an ISO and burn and boot that server to. If you do get memory errors which is a reasonable possibility on a very old machine like this you can narrow it down to the specific DIMM by swapping the DIMMs in pairs -- see support.dell.com/.../5g375c60.htm for valid configurations. Does that seem to help?

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
a3fdeas3r3
1 Nickel

I've actually managed to install Ubuntu 11.04, and it doesn't like any versions above that. However the OS seems very slow, is it meant to run like that on a server like this? I mean it has 2 x Xeons and 10 GB of RAM...

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Did you install the Desktop version or the Server version?  Graphics will suffer, as the 2650 has only like 8MB of video memory.

0 Kudos
a3fdeas3r3
1 Nickel

Oh, I am running Desktop as I don't have that much experience with Linux, so I decided to go with that. Should I install the Server version instead? And can everything be controlled from the server version?

0 Kudos