Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2017 16:00

Dell R710 Win 2008 - How to get to Command Prompt?

Hello,

I am using Dell R710 server with Windows 2008. I want to format my machine.

During boot, when I select "Safe mode with Command Prompt" it takes me to windows login screen and not command prompt.

I have tried this several times but same result.

How do i get to command prompt?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 18:00

Hello

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. There are several methods to format a disk from within the operating system. There is no need to boot to a command prompt.

If you are trying to format the disk that the operating system is installed on then you should not do it from the operating system. You should be booting to some media, and perform the format from that media.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 1st, 2017 23:00

Boot to a 2008 (or later) disc, select Repair your computer, select Advanced, Command Prompt ... type:

diskpart

clean

exit

exit

You are now ready to reinstall the OS ... if that is what the plan is. If you are reinstalling the OS, then this step is not necessary ... when asked where to install, simply delete any existing partitions, then install to the empty disk left behind. If you are just wiping to get rid of the server, none of this is thorough enough.

when I select "Safe mode with Command Prompt" it takes me to windows login screen and not command prompt.

That is exactly what should happen.

No Events found!