Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2014 04:00

Dell backup software?

Is there any sort of Dell backup software which has shipped with our T-420?  Just asking because looking through the OEM created partitions there are:

• 500Mb – EFI System partition
  • 40Mb – OEM partition
  • 3Gb Recovery partition

What is the purpose of the 3Gb Recovery partition?

Just checking that there is nothing built-in before otherwise installing Windows Server Backup on the hyper-V host partition.

Thanks,

• 

8.8K Posts

March 12th, 2014 07:00

Nickc_uk,

The 3gb Recovery Partition actually is a WinRE enviroment. Dell installs and configures WinRE on the local hard drive of every server that is purchased with a factory-installed Windows Server 2008 operating system (OS). If you create backups of your server after it is fully configured, WinRE can restore those over the network or from local media. Those familiar with WinRE on Windows Vista will know that it can be configured to automatically fail over and boot from WinRE if the main OS boot fails.

Hope this answers your question

51 Posts

March 12th, 2014 08:00

Thanks Chris,

Not quite what I thought it might be then.  Guess I will have to install the Windows Server Backup Role on the hyper-V host, I was hoping to avoid having to do that to keep as minimal as possible.  Without that there is no way to create a system image for WinRE to use to recover from.

Nick

No Events found!