Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2009 07:00

ESXi 4.0 VSphere

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell R610 server for use with ESXi. I used the Vmware ESXi 3.5 Update 4 Installable Edition with OM 6.0.3. from Dell which works fine on the R610.

But on may 21st ESXi 4.0 (vSphere) was released. Now i'm looking for a ESXi 4.0 Installable Edition with Open Manage from Dell.

Does anyone know where to find this version, or when it will be available for download?

Kind regards!

9.3K Posts

June 8th, 2009 12:00

I have not seen such a CD/ISO yet, so I feel comfortable saying it doesn't exist (yet).

4 Posts

August 27th, 2009 19:00

Hello,

I believe you might be interested in the OpenManage offline bundle for ESXi 4.0, patch 1. 

Unlike your installation of 3.5,U4, The vSphere ESXi 4 requires a little intervention.  You will find on the http://support.dell.com in "Drivers and Downloads" under the "Systems Management" section (when ESXi is chosen as the Operating System) that there is an Offline Bundle available for download.  There are instructions on the download page.  If you have difficulty locating it.  Post a reply and I will help you get there.

the installation requires one bit of clarification.  You will need to use "vihostupdate.pl" instead of "vihostupdate" as the command for uploading the VIB bundle.

David.

9.3K Posts

August 27th, 2009 19:00

I noticed today that under the ESXi downloads on VMware's site that they have an "VMware ESXi 4.0 with Dell Customization" option now.

2 Posts

October 28th, 2009 08:00

PE2950 with ESX Embedded. I used the Dell CD with Dell customization mentioned above. Nagios is picking up the hardware status just fine.

With the above setup, 2950 + ESXe, how do I change the drive configuration on the internal Perc card? Does the toolset installed with the embeded version have a web interface? Or do I needto use the Open Manager Server Admin, or new Altiris toolset? I'm trying to avoid reboot and Perc BIOS.

104 Posts

October 28th, 2009 16:00

OMSA 6.1 is not part of the ESX 4.0 Dell Customized install. 

Here is what you would want to do to get OMSA installed:
1) Download the OMSA 6.1 ESXi 4.0 install bunlde from the Dell website
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&fileid=326356
2) Install the OMSA bundle onto the ESXi server. You can use the host update utility or the following command if you have installed the vSphere CLI
vihostupdate.pl --server esxhost --username root --password yourpassword -i -b oem-dell-openmanage-esxi_6.1-0000.zip
3) Once OMSA has completed installing you want to open the vSphere clien and you need to enable the OEAM CIM providers
  1. Choose the Configuration tab on the host
  2. Click Advanced Settings under the Software section
  3. In the dialog that appears click “UserVars” on the left
  4. Change the value of CIMOEMProvidersEnabled to 1
  5. Click OK

4) The last step you need to take is to either Restart Management Agents from the ESXi console on the ESXi server (No Reboot) or reboot the server.

OMSA on ESXi 4.0 does not include a Web interface. To manage the ESX4i server you will need to install OM Managed Node 6.1 on a Windows or Linux server and then connect from that interface to the ESX4i server.

1. Install OMSA 6.1 on a Windows or Linux Server
  2. Open a connection to OMSA 6.1 on the server you just installed it to.
  3. Click Log Out in the top right hand corner of the screen in the gray bar.
  4. Click Log in in the center of the screen
  5. Click on Manage Remote Node on the top right hand corner of the screen in the gray bar.
  6. Enter the IP address of the ESX4i system in the Hostname / IP address field
  7. Enter the ESX4i username in the Username field
  8. Enter the ESX4i password in the Password field
  9. Select Ignore certificate warnings
  10. Click on Ok
  11. You are now managing the ESX4i system with OMSA

Regards,
-cjtompsett

3 Posts

January 5th, 2010 14:00

CJ,

I have followed these instructions and I get a login failed on the OMSA page. I'm assuming that I am to use the root login and password. I amusing OMSA 6.2 across the board.

Thanks in advance for your response.

-Mike

No Events found!