Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2010 19:00

How to connect to Remote Management Console Dell 2850

Hi,

My Dell 2850 has a remote management Ethernet port. When the system is booted I see that the IP is configured as 10.13.1.123. I have this Ethernet port connected to my network switch. I assume that this port is for Lights out Management (Similar to ILO fo HP servers).

My question is how do I connect to it? What tool I should use to remotely manage the server?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 18:00

Having OMSA installed simply tells me that the DRAC drivers are installed.

Open a command prompt and type in the following:

racadm racresetcfg (this will reset the DRAC to default values listed below) - the reset can take up to 10 minutes to complete - there is no progress indicated, so give it about 10 minutes before going on.

IP Address: 192.168.0.120
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Login: root
Password: calvin

If this information will not work for you, you can set the network information with the following, from the command prompt:

racadm setniccfg -s ipAddress netmask gateway

Again, may take a couple of minutes before you can access it with the new settings.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 14:00

You're right ... this gives you the ability to remotely check hardware log, power on/off, etc.  The DRAC for the 2850 can also use Virtual Media, allowing you to run CD's or ISO images remotely for the OS or for installing an OS.

If that IP is in your local subnet, simply connect to it in a web browser.  It will give you a certificate warning, but you should get a login screen after that.  The default sign in for the DRAC is root and calvin.  If you did not set up that IP, then you will need to assign the proper IP/subnet information.  You should be able to do this from the CTRL-D screen.  If the login root/calvin doesn't work, then you will likely need to reset it and set it up from Windows command line.  Let us know if that is the case and we can provide some instruction.

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 15:00

Thank you for your response. Is there a way to set up the subnet information without rebooting the machine. The IP is not in my subnet and I guess that is why I am not able to connect to it. I guess I need to setup the IP address and login information.

7 Posts

Thanks again. I have Win2003 OS and Dell Open Manage version 5.0.0 installed. I looked thorugh the menu but I am not able to find where you configure the network. Can you guide me where this setting is?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Without rebooting?  Do you have Windows installed with OpenManage Server Administrator running?  If so, you can do it from the OS.

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 18:00

Thank you. it works great.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 19:00

You're welcome.  :)

No Events found!