Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

March 6th, 2019 23:00

How to install OS onto dell poweredge 2650 with usb?

I recently got a dell poweredge 2650 for free and I'm trying to install esxi onto it but I can't get it to install through a usb and I don't have a cd that I can use. Is there a way to use a usb to install the os?
Thank in advance,
Mikiko

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

March 7th, 2019 13:00

Hello,

While I don't have a 2650 to test on, I can share what I've read. It appears that the 2650 isn't capable of booting to a USB. I checked the internal information I can reach, the BIOS notes posted online, and the user manual. As for the OS, what version of ESXi are you trying to install? I ask because there are no supported versions, so I expect that you will run into driver issues, as well as issues for hardware support for virtualization (the processors that I checked did not include virtualization support).

I hope that you're able to accomplish this, but based on what I can see, it appears that you'll have a number of challenges beyond the booting issue.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 7th, 2019 14:00

ESXi 3.5 ... not sure if that will work, but that was the LAST version that would install with a CPU without virtualization technology built into it.  

2650 indeed will NOT boot to USB.

There isn't anything modern that you can do with a 2650 ... older linux distros are probably your best bet (they will run 32-bit Server 2008 though). Single-core applications and number crunching are their strong suite - decent clock speed in the CPU, but there's only one processing core.

No Events found!