Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2015 17:00

How to install W2012R2 on R610 UEFI server

Hi

Hopefully somebody has a good guide for installing Windows 2012 R2 server on PE R610 ?

I have now tried several "fixes" from the internet from UEFI enabled USB boot, original MS DVD - you name it.

Boot to repair console and use diskpart to make GPT partitions, but nothing works.

What the heck do we need UEFI for?

So far I have no luck, and getting a bit frustrated as I have a customer waiting for a server that I do not seem to be able to install any OS.

I have installed OS on so many servers from other vendors I lost count, but this Dell have gotton me so far...

Anybody knows how it can be done?

kind regards,

Kenneth

• 

8.5K Posts

October 30th, 2015 06:00

Kenneth,

Have you booted to the Lifecycle Controller (F10) and then select OS deploy? Also, have you already configured the Raid? If so then what I would suggest is to download this OS Driver Pack. After that then you will apply that update to the Lifecycle Controller, and this will include the driver needed. After that then select the OS Deploy option and then the OS install should proceed. 

Let me know how it goes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 30th, 2015 08:00

What the heck do we need UEFI for?

There are several reasons one might need it, but if you don't, turn it off.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2015 09:00

Hi Chris

I downloaded the 64 bit windows version and placed this application on the USB key, but when I plug this USB key into the server is says no volume available for local repository.

So what am i missing here?

kind regards,
Kenneth

7 Posts

I burned the .exe file to a cd, but i cant browse my way to the cd from the LC when trying to do a platform update....

Do I need to change the bios from uefi to bios mode (not from the LC)?

/Kenneth

7 Posts

What are the reasons?

For me it seems way to complicated to just install a OS, in most cases these days the servers are running a virtualization solution like Vmware or other vendors.

I tried to disable UEFI and then try to install a OS but again I was challenged with missing drivers and the installation was not able to continue....

/Kenneth

7 Posts

October 30th, 2015 10:00

Perc H700 integrated....

• 

8.5K Posts

October 30th, 2015 10:00

Kenneth,

What is the raid controller you have installed in the server?

• 

8.5K Posts

October 30th, 2015 11:00

Thank you. The drivers should be present on the OS media itself as well, as they should have been included since the H700 was released prior to the OS. If you boot directly to the OS media, does it see the Virtual Disks you created prior to install?

7 Posts

October 30th, 2015 11:00

no i do not see the virtual drive, it is asking for a missing driver....

and then installation is not able to continue past that point...

Found a utility that i can boot from to install a OS, but now i get a .dll error  on my MS media...

Is just trying on a second media right now, and if that fails too I think this server will get the boot and we go for a HP.... 

7 Posts

October 30th, 2015 12:00

Finally we decided to contact Dell Support to pay for help with this issue, only to get told:

Fee based support do not cover OS installation ..... WHAT ????????

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 30th, 2015 12:00

no i do not see the virtual drive, it is asking for a missing driver....

and then installation is not able to continue past that point...

Exact messaging would help, but if it is saying something like "Missing CD/DVD driver", then your OS media is corrupt (possibly verified by the missing dll message). You may need to burn the ISO at a slower speed, with different software, or a different drive, and you may need to download the ISO again, checking the hash and/or using a download manager if you don't have a clean or fast Internet connection.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 30th, 2015 14:00

See my previous post.

I have installed OS on so many servers from other vendors I lost count, but this Dell have gotton me so far

There is nothing special or unusual about installing an OS on an R610. If you had the experience you said you did, there would be nothing about the R610 that you wouldn't have run into on any previous server or a server from any other brand. I installed and configured 2012 R2 on an R610 as an RDS server last week in little more than an hour.

1. Download ISO. Verify hash/integrity.
2. Burn ISO to USB using reliable image-burning software, drive, and disc.
3. Boot server to Setup and switch boot mode to BIOS.
4. Boot server to CTRL-R utility. Clear configuration, configure AND Initialize RAID array (smaller than 2TB).
5. Boot server to OS installation DVD for OS install. Drives should be shown automatically. (There is the possiblity that your firmware is too old to support the driver natively included in 2012R2.)
6. Install remaining drivers after base OS is installed, starting with chipset. Install OMSA.

7 Posts

November 20th, 2015 17:00

Yeah, its annoying as [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed per TOU]. I said I would help a friend and am trying to setup his T430 with H330. Its so utterly annoying. I was able to boot to OS from USB, but it didn't recognize the drives correctly. Now I am trying to update the LCC drivers, but it doesn't see the USB.

WAY WAY WAY too much [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed per TOU]. Its a T430, keep it simple, its not a [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed per TOU] blade.

I have tons of HP, and this is my first DELL.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 20th, 2015 18:00

So, I'm going to start with the basics, since you posted on an existing thread and already you are talking about different hardware. What OS are you trying to install?

Its a T430, keep it simple, its not a blade

If you mean a rack server, the only difference between a rack server and a tower server is the chassis. If you actually meant a blade server, the hardware is a little different - much more compact - but still essentially the same. There certainly wouldn't be any difference installing the OS.

So, you boot to USB and it doesn't see ANY drives or it sees them and has some other problems?

How did you set up the drives in the CTRL-R utility? They MUST be configured in RAID or set as non-RAID.

No Events found!