Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

June 13th, 2013 21:00

Installing Hyper-V 2012 on T420: "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

Trying to install Hyper-V (bare metal hypervisor, not a role) on T420 with PERC H710, getting an error message:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

(Don't even have a clue where to look for "Setup log files" - don't think the installer has a place to write them to.)

What am I doing wrong here?

The server came with a pre-partitioned RAID1 mirror on H710 (the rest of the drives - yet unconfigured); dual SD cards with the VMWare hypervisor (to be erased or left alone).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

June 14th, 2013 04:00

After disabling the internal SD card slot, the installation finished without a hitch.

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 16:00

Getting the same error message while trying to install 2012 R2 standard on a T420 remotely with the idrac virtual console. I wonder if it's the USB flash drive that I have plugged into the server that's causing this message. I had put memtest86+ on a flash drive earlier in the day to run a couple passes on the memory, and I'm wondering if the Windows install is failing because the flash drive is still plugged in. I'll try disabling that USB port in BIOS and see if I can press on.

January 3rd, 2014 17:00

FWIW, I installed from a USB thumbdrive too - but don't remember if I had to take it out for the installation to succeed.

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 17:00

Well, I was installing 2012 from a DVD, but I figured it out. The BIOS had put the USB flash drive ahead of the Perc disk in the hdd order. Once I put the Perc at the top, the Windows partitioning and install went just fine. Installing Windows updates now. Thanks.

March 19th, 2014 11:00

Similar success:  removing internal SD Card from a T320 allowed me to get past this error and install Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V.

No Events found!