Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2008 12:00

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 on a Poweredge 2950 Fails

Hi,

I'm trying to install the Standard version of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 on a new Poweredge 2950.  The DVD is a Microsoft Partner DVD from the Action Pack set.  When the configuration is complete and the machine reboots I'm prompted for the DVD correctly.  Unfortunately, when I put the DVD in, I get a message telling me the DVD isn't a valid Windows Server 2008 edition.  I selected 64 bit Windows 2008 in the configuration and had it setup the RAID 5 for me before the reboot occurs.  The Partner DVD contains both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows 2008.  If I go into the BIOS and choose to boot from the DVD, it boots to it fine and starts the install program, so there are no issues with the DVD being bad.  Any ideas on what's going on?

TIA. 

1 Message

October 27th, 2008 15:00

Hello Newbie,

I just experienced with my Poweredge SC1435 and Windows Server 2008 32 bit what you described with your 2950 and Windows Server 2008 64 bit.  I am going ahead and booting from the DVD like you did.  Since there seems to be no further problems posted ... I am assuming this is the way to go!

October 28th, 2008 22:00

The installation and server management disk that you use to install only supports Retail, OEM and some versions of the Volume licensing. It does not install MSDN, Action Pack or any other media other than the 1st set there. You'll have to use the OS installer off the 2k8 DVD.

23 Posts

November 24th, 2008 17:00

So if you are a Microsoft Certified Partner and you purchased one of these Dell 2900 servers with out an OS, thinking you would install your legal copy of Windows Server 2008 from Microsoft you have a heck of a problem. Can you install Windows 2008 Server booting from the DVD and then completely install all the other hardware drivers needed to get this server up and running correctly?

What problems does not using the Installation and Server Management Disk to start the setup cause me? Can someone give me some guidance as to what I need to do to use this expensive piece of hardware with my Microsoft Certified Partner software. Which by the way, I also paid a very good bit for. 

3 Posts

November 25th, 2008 12:00

Hi,

I just have the same problem like you. I tried to install Windows Server 2008 X64 from the Action Pack and I get an error Message that no valid DVD is in the DVD-drive.

How did you solve that problem? Thanks for your help.

Greatings from Germany.

3 Posts

November 25th, 2008 13:00

Yes, I think you are right. This is the first Dell Server I have bought and I never had any similar problem with other products. I think Dell should support all types of official Licenses.

What would happen if I boot the server with the Action-Pack DVD Windows Server 2008? Would I be able to run the installation without the Dell System Management tools? And/Or would I have to install all drivers manualy then?

23 Posts

November 25th, 2008 13:00

I have not solved this problem yet. I was hoping someone would read this post and give me a solution.
I think Dell is off the mark here. If you purchased this expensive hardware and you have a legal copy of
Windows Server 2008, this should not be up to DEll to dictate what I load on my machine.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

November 25th, 2008 16:00

Would I be able to run the installation without the Dell System Management tools? Should work, I never use the Dell install disk.

Just use the the Action pack disk, this should get windows installed.  You will need to get the drivers off the disk for network, video etc once Windows is up and running.

23 Posts

November 29th, 2008 07:00

Ok, I have loaded my Dell 2900 from my Microsoft Certified Partner's MSDN Windows 2008 x64 Server disc. Everything seems to be ok. All hardware found and no yellow exclamation marks in device manager. I have downloaded all the drivers and ISO discs from the support site for the Windows 2008 x64 Server OS. But I have only installed the ATI video drivers. What else really needs to be installed to complete a proper setup.

What is on the four Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation ISO discs that I really need to install. Can someone please give some guidance as to what I need install at this point.

On a side note, Windows 2008 x64 Server with Hyper-V is great. What a cool virtualization setup this is...

Orgbrat

3 Posts

December 1st, 2008 10:00

I just tried a different way to solve that problem. I downloaded the Windows Server 2008 x64 version trial version from the Microsoft website and installed it with the purpose to activate it later. The installation run well but when the Server starts the Initial Configuration Tasks don´t work. A Window just opens and an error message is shown:
Aplication Name: oobe.exe
Fault Module Name: mscorwks.dll

Alos the Server Manager is not running. If I click on it the Server Manager window opens and closes immediately. Has anyone a idea why this happens and how I can solve that problem? Thanks for your help.

188 Posts

December 6th, 2008 14:00

Have you tried to install it from zero?

When I install win 2008, I use to format before the HDD and also in some cases delete the partions.

Then the win installs perfect. You don't need to use the dell stuff to install the OS.

After once all is setup I install dell updates and server administrator.

Best Regards.

No Events found!