Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2011 15:00

New ESXi 4.0U2 A01 is the same as ESXi 4.0U2 A00

Hi,

I've downloaded a new ESXi 4.0 U2 A01 ISO image from the Drivers and Downloads page for my PE2850. It was released on 14/12/2010, the Level of Importance is Urgent, so I've installed it rather soon. But I could not discover any difference so I've made a binary compare to the previous version (ESXi 4.0 U2 A00) released on 30/06/2010. What was found: the two ISO images are exactly the same, bit-by-bit!

Is there a Dell Support person (or anyone else) here who can tell me where is the fault?

Thanks,

M. Gy.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 06:00

This is a user-to-user forum. Sometimes a Dell rep chimes in, but if you want an answer from Dell, you'll probably have to open a case with Dell (PowerEdge probably) support.

January 2nd, 2011 13:00

Yes, I know. However, there's the possibility that another user can enlighten us in this case. On the other hand the warranty period of my server is already over so I am not allowed to contact Dell anymore. At least after half an hour of fight on the webpage I could not find a reasonable way to contact Dell...

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2011 06:00

As far as I know, here in the US, Poweredge servers carry lifetime support. So, even when you're out of warranty you can still call for questions or troubleshooting a hardware issue.

If you're outside the US, Dell in your country may not offer this though.

January 3rd, 2011 16:00

Yes, this is the case. When I try to send my stupid question I have to enter the Service Tag, then the webpage tells me that this unit was bought outside U.S. and the 4 years warranty period is over.

So if anyone has the time and a valid PE2850 Service Tag within the warranty period and also some curiosity might ask Dell why it is so urgent to install a new version which is exactly the same as the previous one...

108 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 03:00

Urgent, so I've installed it rather soon. But I could not discover any difference so I've made a binary compare to the previous version (ESXi 4.0 U2 A00) released on 30/06/2010. What was found: the two ISO images are exactly the same, bit-by-bit!

Did you ever figure out why they released a new ISO identical to the previous one?

Thanks.

March 3rd, 2011 13:00

Hi,

Unfortunately I could not figure it out (yet).

Regards

M. Gy.

No Events found!