Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2011 20:00

OMSA install on T310 with Esxi 4.1

I am trying to get OMSA installed so that I can check the system from time to time and I am not sure of the steps.  The Esxi version that I have is the ESXi Hypervisor 4.1 (free version).  I know it is limited in what I can do through the CLI but there must be a way.

If anyone can advise whether this is possible on the free version and the steps to take, I would appreciate it.

TIA

Terry

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 07:00

Been there already.  

I downloaded the vCLI and installed on my workstation.  Downloaded OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-2247.VIB-ESX41i_A01.zip from the support site.  Run the first command in the CLI and I get a perl.exe ordinal not found error "The ordinal 2821 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll."

The command prompt shows the following message:

Crypt::SSLeay is required for https connections, but could not be loaded:  Can't load for module Crypt::SSLeay:  load_file:The operating system cannot run %1 at C:/program files /VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230, line 2.

So I am unable to get passed step 1.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Terry

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 07:00

Here is the article that will walk your through the install.

support.dell.com/.../instesxi.htm

Thanks,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 08:00

What OS are you running on your workstation?

If it Is a Windows OS, are you navigating to the directory before executing the command?

What command are you executing when you receive this error?

Are all guest OS shut down and the server in maintenance mode?

Do you have open manage installed on the workstation?

I found some more updated material for using 6.5 with ESXi, this may help clear up some of the steps needed.

support.dell.com/.../instesxi.htm

http://www.user0.net/?p=7

Thanks

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 09:00

Running Win7 64-bit on workstation.  Before I run the command in the CLI command prompt, i change dir to "bin" then run the following command:

vihostupdate.pl --server -i -b c:\temp\OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-2247.VIB-ESX41i_A01.zip

All guests are shut down and server is placed in "maintenance mode" before I run this command.  I do not have OM installed on my workstation but it is installed on my sbs2008 server.  I have that article that you linked and that is the one that I am following.  

I see in the one link that I should change dir to where the zip file is??  Is that correct??

Terry

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 11:00

Thank you for the additional information.

Here is a link that looks like it may work.

communities.vmware.com/.../1054256

The comment

"

renamed the libeay32.dll in c:\windows\system32 to libeay32.dll.old and then copied the one in the c:\program files\vmware\vmware remote cli\perl\bin into that folder.

"

Is the one that should resolve the issue.

Thanks

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 12:00

Renaming the file worked.  I got a message about it being successfully installed.  Thank you for the direction.  

Now I have enabled the CIM OEM Provider and I am not sure what my next step should be and how to launch the OMSA for the esxi host.  

Your help is appreciated, Thanks.

Terry

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 13:00

Glad to hear that worked.

You will need to log onto a Windows or Linux system with the open manage, managed node installed on it.

Then navigate to,

"https:// :1311/ "

Thanks

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 14:00

Okay, so I do have my sbs server with OMSA.  I logged onto it and tried as you suggest and internet explorer cannot display the web page.  When I use ip address instead of I got a certificate error message and when I selected to go to the page anyway IE returned cannot display the web page.  Am I missing something??

11 Posts

Oops, the error using the ip address got me to a "404" error.

11 Posts

Now I get the "cannot display web page" message.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Ok, Lets do this instead.

With OMSA open on the Windows box, in the upper right hand corner there should be an option to manage another host, or manage remote host, something like that.

We need to select that option and input the ESXi server information. This should allow us to view and manage that server, through the Windows OMSA interface.

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 15:00

Actually there isn't.  This was a download from the support site.  Is this a stand-alone management??  The OMSA disc that came with the box launches a window for the same stand-alone support.  Is there another one that will allow me to manage a remote server??

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2011 07:00

Is the version of OMSA that is on the SBS server the same as what we just installed on the ESXi server?

If we just installed 6.5 of open manage on the ESXi server, lets make sure that the server 2003 SBS server  is also at version 6.5.

Also please check on the bottom of open manage. The option to manage remote should be present there as well.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_23dDELPolqI/TZXcK3orotI/AAAAAAAAeJM/h81gNLich5g/DellOMSA%5B3%5D.png

Once you click the manage remote node, just enter the IP address of the ESXi server, root user and password. It should then log you in and let you monitor and manage the server.

Thanks

11 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 07:00

Thanks for the screen shot.  I can barely see it on my screen but it is there and I was able to log on.  Without the screen shot I would have never seen it as it is so faint on my display.  Thanks again.

I did notice that once I was logged in that it gave me information about the raid controller (perc6i) and the raid 5 that i have setup but didn't give me any info on the 3 drives.  Is that normal??

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2011 08:00

Once logged in, on the left hand side you should have a storage tab. You can navigate down that tree and it should show the PERC, arrays, and then under the array the drives in each array.

It should look something similar to this.

support.dell.com/.../document

No Events found!