Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2015 14:00

OS Drive locked after Windows Update

New R220 servers running PERC S110 were loaded Monday with Server 2012 R2.  I set up the servers on the network and were ready to deploy.  Ran Windows updates on them this morning before taking them to the server room.  Once the updates loaded and went to restart both servers failed to come back up to Windows.  Three failed boot attempts took them to the recovery console.  When attempting to repair I received the message that the OS drive that the system was attempting  access was locked.  The drives show up in the BIOS, the drives and their group show up in RAID as online.  Boot Menu shows that the drive exists but it is grayed out.  I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this.  Any help is appreciated.

• 

8.8K Posts

April 16th, 2015 06:00

RM Mike,

It sounds like the issue you are having is the same discussed here. When you try to boot, are you getting an 0X7B Inaccessible Boot Device error? If so this is an issue with the Windows update, as identified in this KB article. You can try the hotfix, as well as the steps outlined, but I am seeing that more times than not the OS has to be reinstalled, and then afterwards avoid the 2919355 update.

Let me know if this looks to be the issue you are seeing.

5 Posts

April 16th, 2015 08:00

Chris, I hadn't been seeing that particular error but was getting a blue screen. After reading the article I see the difference is that I don't have the failover restart disabled. It's the same behavior as far as the other poster's problem. Fresh machine and OS install that went south after the first run of MS updates.  I've downloaded the hotfix and will try it first in hopes the planets align and it works.  I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Mike

5 Posts

April 16th, 2015 08:00

Hotfix was a fail. I'll have to do a full reload to get the machine back up.  I'm hoping I won't have to delete and rebuild the RAID to pull this off.  Are you aware of any specific actions re: the RAID on a reload for a locked drive?

• 

8.8K Posts

April 16th, 2015 09:00

Sorry to hear that. You shouldn't need to recreate or rebuild the raid configuration. If you like you can initialize it to eliminate the previous data, but it shouldn't be required. You should be able to boot to the Lifecycle Controller (F10) and then select OS Deploy.

5 Posts

April 20th, 2015 13:00

I ran across an item that helped in getting past the issue.  On my subsequent reload via USB drive I noticed that the offending KB2919355 had been downloaded and applied during the install.  After the restart the server once again went into the restart cycle, as the update was being applied during the update portion of the OS install.  This goes in line with the instructions for the KB2966870 work around/fix that Microsoft supplies, as they instruct to modify and create a custom install USB or ISO disk.

With that in mind, I burned the ISO to a dual layer DVD.  I then restarted the server and entered Lifecycle.  To insure I had a clean canvas to work with I reinitialized the RAID and then did a manual OS deployment via BIOS using the installation DVD.  I had noticed in the past that Lifecycle has a stage it goes through where it works on OS drivers, and banked on this portion of the deployment as the fix for KB2919355 being applied at install.

In my case it seems to have worked, as I have done this process on both of my new servers and they have came through multiple reboots with no issues.  They have both had further updates applied, been added to our domain, and are reachable via remote desktop with no issues.  Using the DVD media to deploy via Lifecycle seems to have allowed Lifecycle to handle the driver issue on its end - at least that's what my uninformed observation leads me to believe.  Maybe this can help someone else in the future.

2 Posts

May 1st, 2015 10:00

It sounds like we had the same exact issue but with a different cause. Same environment - Dell R220 server, server 2012 r2, perc s110 raid-1 config. The cause in our case was a Perc S110 dell driver update in Windows Updates (Important). We weren't able to fix the reboot cycle once the update was installed, and had to restore from a windows backup system image.

No Events found!