Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

July 15th, 2008 19:00

PE2950 - Problem installing Windows 2003 San booted

Hello All,

I need to install Windows 2003 on a PE2950 booting from the SAN but i keep getting the message to insert the Emulex driver diskette in A:. These are my specs and the actions i've taken;

PE2950 with an Emulex LP1150 connected to a EMC Clariion CX3-80. No internal drives and no internal disk drive.

I've configured the bootlun. (i can install Windows 2008 without any problems, so there should be no BIOS/Firmware issue)

I've downloaden several different Emulex driver versions. I tried attaching a USB diskdrive. I tried attaching a USB stick using the USBKeyPrep utility and i have tried using a Virtual Floppy drive in the DRAC card but keep hitting the same problem.

During the setup of Windows i press F6 to specify a mass storage device. Then i can select the Emulex driver. After selecting the right boot device Windows continues the setup process. After checking the drive it asks again for the Emulex driver. This time i'm unable to select the driver.

Any help is appreciated

August 24th, 2008 17:00

Windows 2008 will work because the Emulex driver is embedded in the OS.  In the case of W2K3, since there is no driver in the OS, the F6 method is the ony option.

Since the OS keeps asking for a disk, it is very possible that the data disk you are providing is NOT the A: Drive.  Windows requires a driver disk to be inserted into the  A Drive.  When you provide a USB disk/drive, the drive letter may be remapped to B, thus Windows will not use this.  The virtual media system in your PE2950 may be stealing the drive letter "A".  One way to find out is when you feed the disk in your USB floppy, check if the drive LED comes on after pressing enter.

If this is a drive letter remapping, you may need to disable your virtual media so that your USB floppy takes drive letter A.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 25th, 2008 13:00

Do a Google search for nLite. This allows you to build a custom CD/ISO that you can embed the Emulex driver into. That may allow you to install 2003 without having to deal with Windows asking for the driver.
No Events found!