Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 9th, 2008 07:00

PowerEdge 1850 (or 1750/750) and windows 2008 with hyper-V

Hi,

I have some 1850 (witchs is not that old) and i wanted to use this for windows 2008  with Hyper-V

I have installed windows 2008 with no problems..

Its 64 bits version..

But, I cant enable Hyper-V role, its compling about it does not support virtual technology.

and that I have to do something in the BIOS.

I have updated the bios from A04 to A07 with no luck.

The server works with vmware with no problems..

What can i DO??????

Greetings Eddie 

4 Posts

September 9th, 2008 10:00

Hyper-V in Server 2008 is a whole other beast than VMWare Server.  You will notice in the Hyper-V role event log that is complains the bios is not set for virtualization.  This is talking about support for virtualization which is built right onto the processor, not the ability to just run vmware.  Think of true virtualization is sharing of actual resources.  WMWare Server works because is creates a "generic" machine that can be used to run an OS, where everything "passes through" the host OS.   Unfortunately, the 1850 does not have processor virtualization support as intel did not include support on the processors at the time.  The 1950 iii support Hyper-V only after you edit the CPU Information in the Bios and enable the Virtualization feature. Hope this helps!

3 Posts

September 9th, 2008 11:00

tnx, for quick reply..

Now I know that I cant use 1850 for Hyper-V, thats "bad", but I can use vmware insted...

Greetings Eddie

4 Posts

September 9th, 2008 15:00

i have VMWare server installed on a couple 1850's wihtout any problems. As always, setup on up in a test environment and make sure all is good before going production.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2008 09:00

Yes, i have also 1750, 1850, 1950 and up, in vmware lab/prod. and this is working _very_ good.

The challange is, that my company is Microsoft's right hand, and we are die'ing to sell MS produkts.

Since windows 2008 and hyper-v does not run on etc 1850, witch is not that old, i will having problems seeing where I actually can use Hyper-V instead of vmware.

I think this is very bad.

I undertand that the chipset inside the CPU prefereed a spescial chipset to use hyper-v, but IF MS want to start competite vmware, they should have made a hyper-v version that runs on 1850. :-)

I guess you know what i mean. :-)

TNX for god information.

Greetings Edward

4 Posts

September 10th, 2008 11:00

I know exactly where you are coming from.  As for a product which is similar to VMWare from Microsoft you can use Virtual Server 2005 R2 on the 1850, but it only supports 32 bit & getting a non Wintel OS to install is like pulling teeth.  I think MS is just trying to compete with VMware higher end products with Hyper-V.

No Events found!