Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2010 04:00

PowerEdge T110 & SBS2003 R2

Having issues installing the R2 version of SBS2003 standard server.  It goes through the pre-load OK but when it re-boots to start the Windows install it blue screens with an IRQ_NOT_EQUAL error.

The Dell DVD is from December 09 and I have tried one from May 08 but that one just fails to launch.

Any ideas ?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 25th, 2010 09:00

It may not be a "supported" OS, but it will usually work anyway.  Here are a few more thoughts, in case you're still looking ...

• Drivers will require 2003 SP2 to work.
  • SBUU often does not work with eopen VL media - but should work to boot directly to it.
  • Integrating two drivers can be problematic through F6 and more so through non-floppy methods.  Use nLiteOS.com to integrate both drivers into the media (and SP2 if it doesn't have it).

6 Posts

April 9th, 2010 08:00

You need to download N-Lite as stated in the other persons post (www.nliteos.com)

Use your R2 SBS CD with the program but you will need to slipstream in the following to make it work.

Windows Server 2003 SP2

Intel Chipset driver for 2003

RAID card driver

Then use N-Lite to make a new ISO image with these included.

Boot off the Dell CD and use the modded ISO image to install Windows and it will work.

Please be aware Dell advise this is NOT a support OS so if you ever call them with an issue they may not help.

The above does work 100%

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 06:00

*update*

Right I have dusted off the USB floppy drive and tried booting of the Windows CD and F6'ing the drivers but get the same result.

Everything suggests this server should support SBS2003 R2 but I can't get it to install.

Call to Dell me thinks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 09:00

Well, for the T110, you need both the RAID controller driver and the SATA driver (chipset) for the CD/DVD drive (assuming you have the drives connected to a RAID controller).  You can also download a new version SBUU (System Build and Update Utility) from the Support site.

6 Posts

March 25th, 2010 03:00

Tried all of that and still no joy... Same Blue Screen error after the pre-load.  Not sure what else to try now apart from logging a call with Dell Support

6 Posts

March 25th, 2010 04:00

*Update*

Spoke to Dell who say that 2003SBS R2 does NOT work on the T110 servers even though Server Standard R2 will :emotion-7:

6 Posts

March 25th, 2010 09:00

Cheers for the suggestions I'll give them ago.  I think the issue is the R2 version the customer has supplied me is SP1.

I'll post back if it works

3 Posts

April 9th, 2010 06:00

I'm also experiencing this issue. Has anyone found a solution?

I have 2003 sbs r2, with sp2 slipstreamed. And i'm also loading the lsi raid drivers from floppy.

Whatever i try it always ends in a blue screen.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 9th, 2010 08:00

The RAID driver is obviously so Windows can use the hard drives.  The Chipset driver is so Windows can use the DVD drive - without this one, you will still get a storage-related blue screen error (0x7b or similar). 

3 Posts

April 9th, 2010 10:00

Guys, thanks for the speedy response.

As is always the case, i sorted this soon after posting...  after spending two hours prior to posting working on it!

My slipstreamed disc (using the sp2 /integrate switch) worked fine, but not by booting conventionally.

I achieved success by using the dell system management tools cd, and prepping the drive with that. Then pointing it to my sbs 2003 r2 sp2 cd. It has now finally installed, granted without chipset or raid drivers. Once i install those i can carry on with the setup from disc 2,3,4 etc.

Have never used the dell openmanage disc before (first thing i normally do is blow the preinstalled dell stuff away and start from fresh), however in this case it has proved rather useful

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 9th, 2010 10:00

In  your case, this worked as designed.  SMTD requires SP2, but since you were able to use that, it loads all the drivers needed.  There is no need now to use the Chipset or RAID drivers.  Those are only necessary if installing directly from a Windows CD and not using the Dell installation utility.

April 9th, 2010 15:00

Hi,

I've got almost the same thing happening.  Help, please!  I have a Poweredge T110 and I'm trying to install SBS 2003 Premium.  It is the pre-service pack 1 version.  I have used nlite to make a bootable cd with just the first disk and I added SP2, the raid and chipset driver.  Do you have you copy all 6 disks using nlite or just the first?  Do you have to include SP1?  Thanks for the help.

April 9th, 2010 18:00

Can anyone give me more detailed instructions for the install with nlite?  I got the first disk to install, but it didn't ask for the rest.  Is this normal in this situation?  Thanks 

April 10th, 2010 11:00

If you use nlite, will it ask for disk 2, 3, 4... or do you have to install them from the desktop?

3 Posts

April 13th, 2010 01:00

Is your SBS 2003 disk/license for the R2 version?

If not, then regardless of whether you have SP2 or not, i think you're out of luck.

However if you have r2, you should be able to slipstream the update and the drivers. It should then install as normal and ask you for disc 2 when done. If it doesnt you can run the sbssetup from disc 1 to continue where you left off.

No Events found!