Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 16th, 2014 08:00

PowerEdge T20 w/ Windows 7 64 bit

Hi all,

New to the forum - howdy everybody.

I am using my new T20 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit... Getting a server OS isn't really an option for me right now (the fact that I couldn't get straight pricing from Dell sales on Foundation or Essentials didn't help either and was very disappointing in terms of quality of support from Dell).

Works great, especially after filling in some drivers from the T1700 set as indicated here by a guru.

Any thoughts on optimizing Windows 7 for file sharing, or any other tweaks for making this work at its best? I'm using this primarily as a NAS. I am currently considering upgrading RAM at at least 8GB. The system as I got it is base with Pentium CPU.

Thanks in advance for any input!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 16th, 2014 10:00

How many users/devices?

29 Posts

December 16th, 2014 10:00

Two main, one admin. Potentially, as I add services (like FTP, etc.), I may add up to five additional users on as-needed basis.

In terms of devices - if I am following your question correctly - a printer/scanner (to be printed to directly, not through this pseudo-server), some USB attached storage devices... The usual SOHO stuff.

Thanks!

29 Posts

December 16th, 2014 13:00

yes, I was aware of that - thanks for making the point.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 16th, 2014 13:00

Just wanted to make sure you understood the licensing as it applies to using Windows 7 as a "server" ... maximum of 20 concurrent connections.

29 Posts

December 17th, 2014 10:00

Hopefully, posting my research here helps others in my situation.

This far, I was able to find some utilities that potentially optimize Windows for file sharing/serving. Standing out among those seems to be this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista. It's freeware, so I hope I am not transgressing any policy of the forum by posting this here.

It allows for instance, to disable encryption/compression for the NTFS file system or enabling large system cache and other such tweaks that address specifics of desktop OS versions. I have not yet tested the potential improvements.

No Events found!