Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 22:00

Poweredge R210 & XP Pro

Hi,

Does anyyone know if Win Xp Pro can be loaded onto a Dell PowerEdge R210, I have been reading about the R200 can be done successfully & I have also tried to do the same but with no success.

I can get it to the point of loading the SAS controller(no raid) driver but when the install goes to start I get the dredded BLUE SCREEN can anybody help please.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 1st, 2010 23:00

I know you say you are not using RAID,but which controller are the drives hooked up to?  Are you using the SAS 5i, SAS 5/iR, or PERC (H800, H200, S100, S300) RAID controller?  What driver (file name) are you using?  Are you getting a 0x7b BSOD?  At what point is it happening?

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 00:00

I am using Dell SAS 5x & 6x Controller driver XP 32 bit,

Th Stop message is as follows,

0x0000007B , ( 0xf78d2524, 0xc00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It stops the install just after the start windows message of which is just after the drivers are loading after F6.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2010 08:00

Is this the driver you are using (R165652)?  ftp://ftp.dell.com/sas-raid/R165652.EXE

The drives are connected to the SAS 5/6, but the CDROM is probably connected to an onboard SATA port.  Here is the driver for the onboard SATA controller.  You will need to load both drivers at F6 using separate floppies, load one, erase, copy, then load the next, or you might be able to modify the textsetup.oem if you know how, although I have had mixed results doing this.  You can also use nLiteOS.com to integrate both drivers into your XP media.

Another Does your XP CD have SP2?  If not, you may need to use nLiteOS.com to slipstream the Service Pack into your installation media too.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 16:00

Looking great at the moment theflash1932, the advice you have supplied has got my install further than it has gone before so I I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

I am using XP Pro with SP2.

Great advice there theflash1932 thank you very much for your help.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 19:00

My R210 now works perfectly with XP Pro & all devices function ie. Nic , VGA etc.

Thank you very much theflash1932 for all your help.

2 Posts

August 6th, 2010 06:00

Hello everyone:

I want to install Win XP in a R210 too, but I've been having some trouble with it. I read this thread and I tried to do what theflash says unsuccessfully. I've made a Win XP SP2 CD with R165652 and R230504 drivers slipstreamed using nlite (including them as PnP drivers) and it's not working. I have a SAS 6/iR Adapter Card configured in RAID1 and the motherboard integrated controller is configured in ATA mode. The drives are connected to the SAS.

I've also tried to load the drivers using F6 during the installation, but when the moment comes, the installer can't find any drive. If I try to install W2k3 or Vista, the drives are detected without any problem.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me, please?

Edit: Sorry about the "Suggested Answer". I pressed the wrong button. This is my first post.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 6th, 2010 09:00

With nLite, you should be slipstreaming as Text-Mode drivers.

Did you have to change your onboard SATA controller to be in ATA  mode?

When loading drivers from floppy ... did you load BOTH drivers (SAS 6 and chipset)?

There is a point while loading drivers from floppy where Windows may tell you that it already has a driver you can use, and you have to hit S to use the driver on the floppy or Enter to continue (with the Windows driver) ... are you positive you hit S?  It is a mistake I make all the time, if I'm not paying attention, but if  you do not hit S, then it will not use the driver you loaded, and since the Windows driver doesn't actually work, it will not see any drives.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2010 01:00

First of all, thanks for your answer.

ATA mode is the default option in the onboard SATA controller.

I made two floppies, each one with a different driver (SAS6 R230504 and chipset R165652). I'm sure that I hit "S" when asked. Then I had to load both drivers using my two floppies.

I'm going to make the CD slipstreaming the drivers as text mode as you say and try again. I'll edit this post with the results.

Thanks again.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2011 15:00

I'm trying to slipstream the correct driver into my XP installation but instead of the SAS controller you listed here I'm using the PERCS300.  Can you point me to the correct driver for this solution?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 18:00

The S300 has no XP drivers, as it has not ever been used in or designed for a system that supports XP.  You might try the 2003 drivers ... they occasionally work, but chances are, you won't get XP installed on an S300.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2011 20:00

Hello, I have the same problem with XP Pro. I have a R210 Poweredge server with PERC100 (and I also find SAS 6/iR Integrated RAID Controller of LSILogic/Symbios Logic in a hardware list and this controller is at slot 01 according to the list).

Does my hardware config fit with a XP Pro?

I tried to search drivers from dell's driver download page, but no matching result was found..

Raymond

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 12th, 2011 20:00

Your ONLY option is to use the 2003 drivers for the S100, as the S100 is only available on systems for which XP drivers were never developed.  XP and 2003 are very similar, but maybe not similar enough.  As XP is not supported on any Dell server, there is a very good chance you'll never get XP installed with an S100.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 12th, 2011 21:00

Yes, in theory, because the SAS 6/iR is also used in the Precision Tx500 systems, for which XP drivers are readily available.  These can also be configured with lots of RAM, ECC RAM, and dual processors, so in many cases, these would actually be preferable to a server.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2011 21:00

I see. If I want to installed a XP on it, is the only possible way to get a server with SAS 6/iR controller instead of a S100 one? 

Raymond

3 Posts

February 12th, 2011 22:00

I am a little bit confused about my system.. I can see in a hardwire list loaded from a DELL boot disc that I can find a SAS 6/iR /integrated RAID Controller (Vendor: LSILogic/ Symbios Logic, Slot: 01), and on the other hand, before entering the Windows installation, I can see on the screen asking me to press Ctrl+S to configure the PERC S100 controller..

Do this mean I get two RAID controllers at the same time, such that I can remove one to let another one work individually?

I am a beginner on RAID...

Thanks..

Raymond

No Events found!