Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 26th, 2010 09:00

Poweredge R710 Install Prep

I usually just boot off a Windows server disk and go, but this time I noticed the Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation dvd that included the Dell Systems Build and Update Utility and other management goodies.  I thought it would be a good idea to update all the drivers/firmware/bios etc from the start.  So I boot off the disk thinking it has all the drivers/firmware/bios etc for my system.  I go to Firmware update\Config, In Repository selection I choose DVD and get "unable to find the server update content in the media.."

So after some research I figure I have to use the Dell Repository Mangager to build an update package.  I tried several ways exporting/saving  repositories, bundles, to DVD, or usb key, but when I try to use I get  "Server update content is in the incorrect format"  I'm at wits end with this Repository manager, can anyone help?

Thanks

Mike

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 26th, 2010 09:00

I have yet to use the Repository Manager, but if you have some time and some blank DVD's, you can download the entire repository here:

Other than annoying at how large it is, it is a very simple way to update.  You download the three images linked here, then merge them from command prompt (copy /b), then create a DVD using the newly merged DVD ISO.  When SMTD asks for the repository, just put this disk in.

347 Posts

January 26th, 2010 12:00

you can use RM to create a bootable disc that will update your system, but neither that disc nor an SUU created with RM will work with SMTD or the Systems Build and Update Utility (SBUU) per dell. to work with SBUU or SMTD, it must be the full SUU (3 images concatenated into one iso).  

2 Posts

January 26th, 2010 13:00

Thanks reybeast, that helps me tremendously, I felt like I was chasing my tail with RM :emotion-21:

Mike

342 Posts

January 26th, 2010 14:00

I've got some demos of RM over here that might be able to help.

The full download of SBUU is a little overkill for just updating one system.  RM lets you create a bootable ISO that is self-contained - boots all by itself and applies the updates.

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Repository+Manager

Hope that helps.  And yes, there is much confusion over using RM to create media that can be read by the Lifecycle controller USC built into the system.  Doesn't work yet, but working on it to work. ... did I say "work" enough there ?

No Events found!